Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Old Laptop CPU - Final Thoughts/Recomendations

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LoboTek

LoboTek

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:09 PM

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my laptop's CPU in order to get better multitasking and overall performance from it, atleast until I purchase a new daily driver. I have a Compaq Presario CQ60-615DX and it comes with a Intel Celeron Processor 900 (1M Cache, 2.20 GHz, 800 MHz FSB). I am looking to upgrade that CPU to an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 (6M Cache, 2.50 GHz, 800 MHz FSB), which seems to be the best option after reading up on a few forums of people trying to do the same thing. The CPU's share sockets (PGA478) and TPD (35w), other than that I'm not sure what else I should be looking for in terms of compatibility.

Here are some CPU-Z screenshots to help:

CPU
Caches

Motherboard

So my questions are:

Do you guys think this upgrade would work and give me a bit more multitasking power (Excel, Word, Outlook etc.)?

Am I missing anything that might make my CPU choice incompatible or a bad idea?

Any and all advice and or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, it is my first time upgrading a CPU so I may be ignorant of some aspects of the process. Thank you all, in advanced.

Note* The RAM (2GB) and HDD have already been upgraded to 4GB and a Scandisk SSD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:41 PM

Well...a laptop with a Celeron processor...is not built for multitasking or much of anything other than surfing the Web.  See 2010 Review.

If you have obtained 6 years or so of reasonably expected use out of this system...it's probably time to think about purchasing another.

IMO, there are a ton of laptops currently on sale, new and refurbished models.  I would suggest that you look into those before trying to turn this HP product into something it was never intended to be.

Louis

When speaking of "upgrading a laptop" there really isn't much that can be done but improving the motherboard/CPU/RAM basically means buying a different model than you currently have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users