Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS Laptop has Hard Drive errors, post boot-up.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ebony_The_Newbie

Ebony_The_Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:55 PM

Hello!

I am looking to fix a laptop that has barely been used since the purchase date. It is showing many indicators of a dying HDD and I would like to fix it sometime later this week.

I do not care for any of the information on said laptop, as I am just looking to quickly fix it up so I can give it to my sister as an early birthday gift. With this given information, I do not mind having to put a new OS onto the laptop. This laptop did not come with recovery discs, so obtaining a new OS is something I would like some assistance with as well. Also, there is no more valid warranty on it either.

This laptop is a few years old and has been showing this error since the purchase date:

Windows has detected a hard disk problem

Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss, and then contact the computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace your disk.

The laptop runs rather sluggishly, so I have it powered off at the moment to prevent any critical errors or a disk failure.

I will post back in a day or two with the laptop specs and such information.

Thanks for any assistance, I really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 01:22 PM

Did the computer come pre-installed with Windows 8? If the drive is failing I would purchase a new one and use the Windows 8 media creation tool to install the OS fresh. Windows 8 it will auto-activate once online as the key is embedded in firmware on any OEM with Windows 8 pre-installed. 

You can verify if the drive is bad by downloading UBCD. Burn the iso to disk and at the menu select HDD > Diagnosis. Use Seatools for DOS and run the short/long tests. You may need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI settings in order to boot UBCD. Legacy or CSM boot may need to be enabled also. If there is a Fastboot/Quickboot setting it should also be disabled.

If Seatools for DOS does not detect the drive then at the UBCD menu select Parted Magic. At the desktop click on Disk Health and run the short/long tests.

The model of the ASUS would be helpful

If the drive passes you can also do a factory reset within Windows as long as the factory reset partition is intact. 

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1006133

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users