Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 freezes randomly even after fresh install

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 callmecrix

callmecrix

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:53 PM

Hi there! First of all, sorry for my bad english. I'm from Germany.

Back to the Topic.

I changed some of my hardware lately. I was working with Windows 10 before. After it began to show up many bugs, I reinstalled it. After that reinstall, it started with those random freezes. I searched the wb and tried so many things, but nothing turned out to solve the problem. So I cleaned the whole HDD, reinstalled Windows 10 with a new created USB, and tried again. But after 30 minutes it froze again.

Those freezes are blocking the whole PC, so I have to press and hold the On/Off switch to shut it down. After that I can reboot and use the PC again.

So my question is, is there anything I can do about this? I'd need every single tip I can get.

If you need some more information please tell me.

Critical errors in my Eventmanager:

Screenshot_2.png

Greetings,

Chris.

MY HARDWARE:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 (@8x4,0Ghz)
Mainboard: MSI 970 Gaming
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 960 4G
RAM: 16GB HyperX fury
Powersupply: Sharkoon WP500 

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 September 2016 - 09:27 AM.
moved from Windows 10 Support to BSOD. Your other topic, a duplicate of this one, was deleted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 01:36 PM

Double Clicking the Kernel Power error and one of the Device Setup listings should give you some more detail on the warning.

#3 callmecrix

callmecrix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:02 PM

Double Clicking the Kernel Power error and one of the Device Setup listings should give you some more detail on the warning.

All it says is that the pc got switched off without shutting down correctly.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:19 PM

You can start a new thread in the Crash/Freeze forum where they can look at your logs. The Kernel Power error in your Event log is concerning but I don't know where it begin with that error.

Other than posting in the Crash forum the only thing I can suggest, because the issue also happens after a clean install, is to check your hard drive and memory. Download UBCD and burn the iso file to a CD. At the menu screen select Memory. Run Memtest+86 for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight. 

If the memory passes do a disk diagnostic. Under HDD > Diagnosis is Seatools for DOS. Do the short and long tests. If Seatools for DOS does not detect the hard drive then at the UBCD menu screen select Parted Magic. At the desktop click Disk Health and do the short/long tests.

If both memory and the hard drive passes it's possible the install media you have is not perfect. You can download Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. If a new install using the Media Creation Tool gives the same problem then I am not sure what the issue is other than a possible hardware issue. You could rule it out by temporarily installing a linux distro like Mint Cinnamon 18. If Mint is stable then it's a Windows 10 problem. 

That's all the ideas I have, sorry.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 September 2016 - 04:20 PM.

#5 callmecrix

callmecrix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:03 PM

@JohnC_21 Thanks for your help!

But it seems like a driver update was all what it needed. Thanks to MSI for giving old drivers to customers. I really needed to download Live Update 6 to get the newer drivers... After 5 Hours still no freeze. I think I fixed it :)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:24 PM

Nice Troubleshooting. Thanks for taking the time to post your solution.

#7 callmecrix

callmecrix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:30 AM

Forget what I just said. It just started freezing again. Windows 10 is like the biggest piece of bleep I've ever seen. Even after almost a bleep year it still won't work correctly. How THE bleep IS MICROSOFT STILL ALIVE?!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:06 AM

Sorry to hear the problem has returned. You can post in the Crash Forum if you wish. They may find the issue after looking at your logs.

Or, you can install Mint Cinnamon as your Windows 10 install has been activated and can do a clean install at any time of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. Backup any important data on the hard drive. The linux distro would also let you create a dual boot system. The linux disk would rule out a hardware issue. 

Did this computer have Windows 10 on it originally? If not and you have the Windows 7 or 8 install disk reverting back to the original OS may be the way to go.

#9 callmecrix

callmecrix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:09 AM

Sorry to hear the problem has returned. You can post in the Crash Forum if you wish. They may find the issue after looking at your logs.

Or, you can install Mint Cinnamon as your Windows 10 install has been activated and can do a clean install at any time of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. Backup any important data on the hard drive. The linux distro would also let you create a dual boot system. The linux disk would rule out a hardware issue. 

Did this computer have Windows 10 on it originally? If not and you have the Windows 7 or 8 install disk reverting back to the original OS may be the way to go.

Well this is a custom build PC by me. I worked with windows 7 for a really long time. Then I upgraded. But honestly, I don't want to go back to Windows 7... But if there isn't any other way...

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:40 AM

I missed that the thread has already been moved to the crash forum. I will PM a BC member and ask if they can look at this thread.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:17 AM

This is a very interesting case.

It is the first time that I've ever seen a Critical Error involving Task Scheduler.
We'll have to look at that in more detail

As for the other Critical Errors - look in the Event ID column.
If it lists Event ID 41, these are simply notification that Windows has shutdown unexpectedly.  More info on that here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

The trick is to use that as a starting point - and look for errors from just before the shutdown happened.
If you find a pattern, then that's where the troubleshooting should focus.

If there isn't a pattern, then you have to include hardware problems in the list of things to troubleshoot.

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users