Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply and CPU help?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KDDomin

KDDomin

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:49 PM

Current specs-

GPU- GTX 1070 

CPU- AMD A8 7650K

Motherboard- MSI A88X-D3H FM2+

Cooling- ZALMAN CNPS10X OPTIMA 120mm FSB

Power Supply- Corsair CX500

Hello, i just recently bought the GTX 1070. I currently have the Corsair CX500 power supply. I do realize that the CX500 works with the 1070 but i plan on upgrading to the Corsair RM850x or the RM1000x. Are either of those compatible? 

I also plan on upgrading my CPU to the AMD FX-9590. Could the Corsair Hydro Series H110 280 mm High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler handle the heat of the 9590? I know that people have problems with cooling and having enough power for the 9590 so im hoping that the Cooling system and Power supply i plan on buying will overcome those problems. If not please let me know before i purchase something that will melt and break my computer. Im also planing on upgrading to the ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard for the AM3+ support.

I just want to make sure that the stuff im planing on getting is compatible with each other.   

List of things im hoping are compatible with each other-

GPU- GTX 1070

CPU- AMD FX-9590

Motherboard- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Cooling- Corsair Hydro Series H110 280 mm High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Power Supply- RM850x or RM1000x

If any of those are not compatible PLEASE let me know! Also if you have any recommendations or ideas also let me know!

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!    -Matt

Edited by KDDomin, 05 September 2016 - 12:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:24 PM

Upgrading to the fx 9590 is not worth it.. it is a binned 8350, and uses a ridiculous amount of power. You could switch to an intel system for that price or save some money and go for an 8350.

You have no use for a psu that powerful. The cx500 should be more than plenty.

If you kept the am3+ mounting from your old cooler the cooler will be compatible.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 KDDomin

KDDomin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:37 PM

Upgrading to the fx 9590 is not worth it.. it is a binned 8350, and uses a ridiculous amount of power. You could switch to an intel system for that price or save some money and go for an 8350.

You have no use for a psu that powerful. The cx500 should be more than plenty.

If you kept the am3+ mounting from your old cooler the cooler will be compatible.

Thank you for the feedback! I will definitely switch to the 8350. From what i hear it is a hassle trying to go from AMD to Intel, but I may be wrong. And you are right the cx500 should be plenty but if i ever needed to switch for some random reason, would the RM 850x or 1000x be compatible? Or even the CX 750m and 850m?  Thanks again.

Edited by KDDomin, 05 September 2016 - 08:42 PM.

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:09 AM

Switching from amd to Intel would only mean that you would also have to switch RAM
Those psu's would be compatible if you need a psu but at the power usage would be a bit inefficient.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:56 AM

CPU prices are high just now, AMD Zen may make some difference. Coming in small quanties on about 1-2 months or so. Big supply early next year.

#6 KDDomin

KDDomin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:26 PM

CPU prices are high just now, AMD Zen may make some difference. Coming in small quanties on about 1-2 months or so. Big supply early next year.

Is there any release info on AMD Zen?

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:33 AM

Is there any release info on AMD Zen?

Confirmed: 8 core, 16 thread, AM4 socket, DDR4, 95W TDP
Confirmed: 4 core, 8 thread, AM4 socket, DDR4, 65W TDP

Prices and clock speeds unknown. I expect at least two models both with different clock speeds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users