Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden latency spikes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Latencyspikes

Latencyspikes

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:18 AM

Hi guys

Finally decided to post on a forum dedicated for these kind of things.

Anyway, since last week Thuesday my internet (cable modem) shut off. I was like huh? Thought i'd restart my pc & it would come back as i had this before in the past. After pc restart, still no internet on any of my devices, so i went to check the modem (motorola sb5101e) and it had 0 lights not even power light was on. I assumed it died. However before internet died i was playing an online game (worldofWarships) and i was experiencing sudden Latency spikes which i have never experienced before in like 10 years.

So called the ISP support next day & let a techie guy come over whom determined that modem has died but then he found out along with me that power outlet was also not giving out any electricity. Still he replaced the old modem (from 2004) with a brand new modem-only as requested (cbn cv7160e).

Finally i got the internet but with the same issue: latency spikes almost every 5secs in all games, also everything else lags too. My voice stutters on any voice server, skype stutters aswel along with every other communications app on any device. Either connection is lost or is very poor during viber/skype and anything alike.

After reading a lot of topics over the net, i still can't pinpoint what's going on.

Yesterday i learnt things like: pinging, pathping, traceroute & tracert.

In the garage there is that newly replaced modem but upstairs i have my own router  (linksys e3200). So far over the years this router has been fantastic. No issues as far as i know.

However, today i disconnected it & directly connected my gaming pc to modem. The spikes still remain.

* Pinging to my default gateway (modem i guess), shows 0 packet loss or spikes (done continious pinging too)

* Pinging to my adress again 0 packet loss or spikes

* Pinging to google.com shows 0% packet loss but somewhere in 15m the request fails (out of 3000 packets only 4 failed).

* Pinging to telenet (my isp) before showed a lot of packet loss.

* Currently pinging again with cmd & pingplotter (sometimes use MTR too).

* According to Pingtest.net on multiple server there is 0 packet loss & 0 or below 5 Jitter.

* According to speedtest.net my down & up speed are max.

* Pinging to DHCP server shows very high % PL but after ever 2.5sec it keeps dropping. Wtf?. (Pingplotter)

* Pinging to one of ISP DNS server same result. These both last have PL at hop 2. (Pingplotter)

* both DNS servers show at hop 2 PL.

* Pingplotter shows PL while CMD does not? How is this possible?

Some images below

151421572.png

No packet loss to my gateway ip & my ip means that my modem & pc are fine right?

I want to try everything possible first before i call my isp to show/tell what i've done so far.

I'm willing to run other tests aswel but i only know this much :).

Whether my router is connected or not, the above still happens so it does not matter, i just wanted to rule out my router.

What methods should i use to rule out my pc, modem, router or isp? Like in what order?

I've also done tests through Network Diagnostics and here are the results (attachment files)

Any ideas or insights are more than welcome.

ps: specs are

Asus rog VII hero mobo

4690k 4.4ghz 1.19v

TridentX 2400mhz 2x4GB RAM

Win 10 64bit Pro

Samsung Pro 250gb SS

Corsair RM 650watt

MSI GX 970

Attached Files

Edited by Latencyspikes, 05 September 2016 - 11:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:48 AM

Looks like a problem in the area. My guess is you had a storm or something that caused the power to spike, hurting both your modem and some of ISP's equipment. I would suggest having the technician come out and run more tests. 

Also, can you post your signal levels from 192.168.100.1?

Last, you might want to check if it's a known issue.

Edited by Trikein, 05 September 2016 - 11:54 AM.

#3 Latencyspikes

Latencyspikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:20 PM

Wow, look at this.

Attached Files

• Attached File  OMG.jpg   94.88KB   0 downloads

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:30 PM

Are you connected direct to the SB5101e? Or did they replace the modem with someone else? What is a "cbn cv7160e"? That doesn't bring up anything in google.

If it is the SB5101e, the ISP must have blocked it in the firmware. Probably so you can't see your signal levels and complain. 

#5 Latencyspikes

Latencyspikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:56 PM

Are you connected direct to the SB5101e? Or did they replace the modem with someone else? What is a "cbn cv7160e"? That doesn't bring up anything in google.

If it is the SB5101e, the ISP must have blocked it in the firmware. Probably so you can't see your signal levels and complain. 

The modem they replaced is called CBN. I could not find anything about it either. According to a Belgian forum, it could a Motorola modem exclusive for Telenet.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:08 PM

Is there a model number on the unit? The only model CBN has on their website is the CH660E  which is a wireless gateway and NOT a modem like the SB5101e. Hopefully your ISP did not give you the wrong replacement unit. 

#7 Latencyspikes

Latencyspikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:30 PM

Well it says Model: CV7160E. Is this not a model number? This cbn modem has lot of numbers, i don't know

Both SC5101e & this one are Modem-only.

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:37 PM

Found it.  However I was unable to find a manual. From what I can tell, its a EuroDOCSIS 3.0 phone modem (eMTA). Do you have phone service? Odd that they would replace a internet modem with a internet/phone modem. Maybe it was just to get you a new free modem. AFAIK that should be accessible from 192.168.100.1. Does it give out a public IP (ie 104.20.59.209)? If it gives out a private IP (192.168.1.x) then try going to the "default gateway" IP (192.168.1.1). 

I guess it comes back to contacting the ISP. Your data shows packet loss between the modem and your ISP, and further packet loss between hops inside the ISP. Since this all started during a storm, it stands to reason a piece of the ISP's equipment got damaged. If we could see your signal levels, my guess is there would be low down stream(DS) signal to noise (SNR) problems. Your downstream should be between -13 to +17dB, with the closer to center 0, the better. Your downstream SNR should be above 32, with above 35 being better. Can you contact your ISP and ask how to check your cable signal levels, or if they meet those requirements?

Edited by Trikein, 05 September 2016 - 03:39 PM.

#9 Latencyspikes

Latencyspikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:50 PM

No, i don't have phone service, wtf. That guy must have been clueless. It gives me this ipv4:  78.22.104.232(Preferred). Default gateway:  78.22.96.1

I have similar to that priv ip with my router connected and default gateway same as the above you mentioned.

I'll call them tomorrow. Also ask them why they gave me internet/phone modem. What a joke!

Can't access 192.168.100.1. It won't load/keeps loading forever.

Edit.

I tested my pc by directly connecting it to my modem in the garage with exactly same results.

I also tested my landlord's wireless router with my laptop and he has the same problems too.

Which makes me believe that either local network is gone bad or isp or both.

Edited by Latencyspikes, 06 September 2016 - 02:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users