Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dualboot 10 and 8.1

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 landscaper

landscaper

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:31 AM

I am running windows10 and would like to dualboot with 8.1.I know 10 was installed first but is there a way to install 8.1.The reason being is I updated to the anniversary edition and it no longer recognises my seagate usb external storage drive.It shows up

in disk management as raw.In 10 it showed up as ntfs,thank-you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:38 AM

I've always installed the most recent version last, but since 8.1 and 10 use the same boot mechanism, I wouldn't think there'd be a problem with creating another partition and putting 8.1 in it.  Worst case I'd think you could use EasyBCD to fix any boot problems that might arise.  Understand though that this is strictly speculation on my part!

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:38 AM

Yes, it is quite easy if you have two separate licenses. But the bigger issue is your system not recognizing your external storage drive which is something that should be addressed and corrected before you attempt to dual-boot.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:39 AM

I've always installed the most recent version last, but since 8.1 and 10 use the same boot mechanism, I wouldn't think there'd be a problem with creating another partition and putting 8.1 in it.  Worst case I'd think you could use EasyBCD to fix any boot problems that might arise.  Understand though that this is strictly speculation on my part!

Good luck.

I did it for a couple of months myself, so it is very doable.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,027 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:41 AM

Was the hard drive attached when Windows 10 was updated? The anniversary edition was know to corrupt other partitions. Attach the drive to another computer. If it shows as RAW on the other computer then dual booting is not going to solve the problem. RAW indicates a bad partition table and/or corrupted file system.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:57 AM

This is another problem with the Anniversary update.  There are a lot of people who can't access their data on external drives, even flash drives.  I did read one possible way to resolve this, I'll post  what I found.  

Use Aomie Partition Assistant to correct the status of the drive.  Right click on any affected partition or drive  and choose to run the partition recovery options or wizard. This should recover the drive and make it usable again.

Hopefully Microsoft will come up with a patch to resolve this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 landscaper

landscaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:57 AM

Thanks all for the response.Here is the deal,it worked on 8.1 and showed as NTFS.Upgraded to 10 and it worked also showing NTFS.

Updated to the anniversary edition and does not work,shows up as RAW.Don't know how to fix it.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:03 AM

This is another problem with the Anniversary update.  There are a lot of people who can't access their data on external drives, even flash drives.  I did read one possible way to resolve this, I'll post  what I found.  

Use Aomie Partition Assistant to correct the status of the drive.  Right click on any affected partition or drive  and choose to run the partition recovery options or wizard. This should recover the drive and make it usable again.

Hopefully Microsoft will come up with a patch to resolve this.

Can you also do this using Mini Partition Wizard? https://www.partitionwizard.com/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,027 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:08 AM

Download Aomei Partition Assistant as dc3 suggested. Install and run the partition recovery wizard. Do a Fast Search on the whole disk. Does it detect a partition? Please post a screenshot of partitions found. You can use the snipping tool and then attach to your post. Use More Reply Options to show the attachement.

Partition Wizard also can be used but another poster with a similar problem had an issue with it. It would not allow Apply to be clicked after the partition was found. We eventually used TestDisk to copy the files back to the internal drive.

http://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html

http://www.disk-partition.com/help/partition-recovery.html

Edit: If a partition is found using fast search click on it to highlight and then the Explore this partition button. Can you explore all files/folders?

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 September 2016 - 11:10 AM.

#10 landscaper

landscaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:16 PM

Thanks folks,everything worked out.I transfered my files on to my 8.1 computer.I then ran  Aomei Partition Assistant and formatted

the slim drive on windows10 anniversary edition and now it recognizes the drive.Thank-you all for your help,again you saved my life.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,027 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:25 PM

Are you saying the drive was not RAW on the windows 8 computer but was RAW on the Windows 10 computer? From your post it seems like you are saying Windows 8 detected the drive and all files while Windows 10 said it was RAW or did you need to use the Partition Recovery Wizard of Aomei first before transferring the files?

Nothing surprises me regarding Windows 10 anymore. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 September 2016 - 12:35 PM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:41 PM

From you last post it looks like you have everything working to your satisfaction.

If this is the case... happy computing. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 landscaper

landscaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 01:05 PM

Yes,that is what I am saying.It showed NTFS on 8.1 and 10.When I updated to the anniversary edition it showed raw.When I formatted the drive on the anniversary edition it showed NTFS.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,027 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 01:10 PM

Glad you got your problem sorted. I have never heard of one Windows OS detecting a drive as RAW and another Windows OS allowing it to be read, but who knows, it's Windows 10. Whatever the case, I would make sure the data on the external is backed up to one other device or the cloud if the data is critical.

#15 landscaper

landscaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 01:17 PM

Thanks JohnC,I did backup everthing on another drive to be sure,and thanks dc3 for your help also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users