Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OpenOffice, after years of neglect, could shut down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:57 AM

As LibreOffice soars, OpenOffice management considers retiring the project.

OpenOffice, once the premier open source alternative to Microsoft Office, could be shut down because there aren't enough developers to update the office suite. Project leaders are particularly worried about their ability to fix security problems.

An e-mail thread titled, "What would OpenOffice retirement involve?" was started yesterday by Dennis Hamilton, vice president of Apache OpenOffice, a volunteer position that reports to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) board.

"It is my considered opinion that there is no ready supply of developers who have the capacity, capability, and will to supplement the roughly half-dozen volunteers holding the project together," Hamilton wrote.

Article

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 September 2016 - 07:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:46 AM

Sad to see. Personally I use LibreOffice, but I also used to use OpenOffice. Even though I don't use it now, I like knowing it's there should LibreOffice ever take a turn for the worst. But that's how it is. Projects come and go. I wish the OpenOffice creators the best of luck in averting this possibility.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:19 AM

Unfortunately the turning point was when Oracle purchased Sun Microsystems. 

#4 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:26 PM

Well, if OpenOffice shuts down, I can still use it on my laptop, or if I must do so, convert/install StarOffice 7. So no huge loss for me either way {anything but MS crap!}

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:12 AM

I use WPS office, not open source, but very compatible with Office.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users