Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No screen at all, not even on boot

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nathanator

Nathanator

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:39 AM

Hi, I built a pc over a month ago and it was fully working but then i swapped the graphics card for a new one (because i realised the game i really wanted to play could not be run by that graphics card), after inserting the new graphics card it automatically installed the drivers for it, when it had finished it seemed to be working but 5 minutes later i started using it and opened google and started googling some stuff for homework and then as i was doing that the screen froze, i waited around 10 minutes to see if it could sort itself out but it didn't so i held the power and turned it off, afterwards i tried to turn it on and i heard and saw the pc turning on but there was no screen even at the boot.

I did some testing to try and grasp what the problem was:

• I replaced the graphics card with an old one to see if it was because of the graphics card (same result - no screen)
  • I placed the new graphics card into an old pc that I had (it worked in the old pc - so new graphics card doesn't seem to be the problem)

I attempted to fix it with some other methods:

• I replaced the motherboard with an identical new one (Amazon replacement) (no difference)
  • I also took out the CMOS battery (i think its called) and then reinserted it after awhile, but that made no difference
  • I tried disconnecting my HDD and SDD (thought it might be drivers or something, not entirely sure where drivers are stored)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:21 AM

Did you use the same monitor when you used the old pc to test the graphics card?

Does your motherboard have integrated graphics?

Have you tried the HDMI output or vice versa?

What is the make and model of the graphics card?

What is the make and model of your PSU?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Nathanator

Nathanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for replying,

Did you use the same monitor when you used the old pc to test the graphics card?
Yes

Does your motherboard have integrated graphics?
No, so can't use it to figure out anything :-(

Have you tried the HDMI output or vice versa? My gc had 2 hdmis and 1 vga tried HDMI to HDMI, tried vga to HDMI, HDMI to VGA and vga to vga but none work

What is the make and model of the graphics card? Gigabyte geforce gtx 750 ti

What is the make and model of your PSU? Not sure at the moment not with Pc will post later the answer

Thanks

#4 Nathanator

Nathanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:04 AM

I think the PSU is EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR - 500W 80 Plus Power Supply

#5 Nathanator

Nathanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:07 AM

Actually pretty sure it's the bronze version

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:34 AM

It is a 80 plus bronze.

This one has me scratching my head.  It's not the graphics card, not the monitor, you've replaced the motherboard, yet you still have no graphics.  Your PSU has ample amperage and voltage on the 12V rail to drive your graphics card.  

What is the make and model of your motherboard?

What was the problem with the first motherboard?

Have you checked to make sure all of your connections are good and all of your RAM is seated properly?

Are you receiving any unusual beeps when you start the computer?

After the computer is started do you see activity with the hdd LED?

Edited by dc3, 06 September 2016 - 11:36 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Nathanator

Nathanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:45 AM

So it's not only me who's confused ;-)
My motherboard is ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 ATX AM3+
There wasn't really any problem with first motherboard I just replaced because I thought the pci-e slot might be broken.
I took out and reinserted ram to make sure that it was seated correctly (a couple of times) but it made no difference.
I'm getting no beeps at all, which I think is even worse because I have no idea what's wrong.
I'm pretty sure there was a bit of activity for the HDD light (not entirely sure from memory, I'll be able to check tomorrow evening because that's when I'll be at my mum's)

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:20 PM

When you check for hdd activity see if the case fan/s, CPU fan, and PSU fan are running.  

#9 Nathanator

Nathanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:44 PM

Ok, will do

#10 Nathanator

Nathanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:55 PM

Sorry about that, I said I would do it on Wednesday but I have been busy, I tried turning it on and all the fans seemed to be running properly but the HDD light didn't even blink (I'm almost certain it's hooked up completely), what might that mean?

#11 pattyandme

pattyandme

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:44 PM

can you try a different pci slot to reinstall the card at boot?

Realtek ALC662

try plugging in your head phones when you boot your pc.

Edited by pattyandme, 09 September 2016 - 10:46 PM.

#12 Nathanator

Nathanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:24 PM

Only got one pci-e slot so can't change it, I will try doing the headphone thing :-)

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:30 AM

See if you can boot into the BIOS.  The delete key usually works with custom builds.

If you can boot into the BIOS see if your hdd is recognized.

Who is the manufacturer of you hdd?

try plugging in your head phones when you boot your pc.

I don't understand what pattyandme hopes to accomplish by doing this.  If there is a beep code your motherboard should have speaker (Piezo) which would make the "beep/s" for a error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users