Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Require assistance on upgrading gaming computer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kindlestick

kindlestick

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:55 PM

Hello beautiful people of bleepingcomputer, I am seeking for your help today. I've had this custom pc for a long time and by looking at my specs below you will soon see most of my hardware are outdated but I am a rookie with building / upgrading computers. This computer was prebuilt and I really don't know what to do to upgrade. I am looking to upgrade my comptuer for better FPS when playing games but my budget isn't too high either. I really require your expertise on the best route to take.  Thank you so much for your time and thank you in advance on any adivice you provide me.

Windows:            Windows Version 6.2 (Build 9200)
Internet Explorer:  9.11.9600.18427
Memory (RAM):       16329 MB
CPU Info:           Intel® Core™ i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
CPU Speed:          3405.4 MHz
Sound Card:         Speakers (Turtle Beach Ear Forc | 
Realtek Digital Output (Realtek | 

Display Adapters:   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
Monitors:           1x; BenQ GW2255 | 
Screen Resolution:  1600 X 900 - 32 bit
Network:            Network Present
Network Adapters:   Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller | Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2 | Realtek RTL8192CU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter
CD / DVD Drives:    1x (E: | ) E: ASUS    DRW-24B1ST   i
Ports:              COM1 LPT Port NOT Present. 
Mouse:              5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks:         C:  118.7GB
Hard Disks - Free:  C:  36.9GB
USB Controllers:    3 host controllers.
Firewire (1394):    Not Detected
Manufacturer *:     American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make *:     MS-7821
AC Power Status:    OnLine
BIOS Info:          AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 05/17/13 | ALASKA - 1072009
Battery Status:     No Battery
Motherboard *:      MSI Z87-G45 GAMING (MS-7821)
SM BIOS:            V1.2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:17 AM

Your video card is essentially dual chip SLI and it should be enough for your monitor also. So I see no real need for upgrade unless upgrading monitor also.

#3 Corrupt_Liberty

Corrupt_Liberty

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:39 AM

I can't imagine you are having too many FPS problems at that resolution with that setup.  Is there a specific game you are having issues with, or just generally want to upgrade?  The GTX 690 should be faster than my 780ti and I have no problems at 2560x1440.  Maybe upgrade to a better monitor?  A nice 1080P panel wouldn't hurt.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:04 AM

I can't imagine you are having too many FPS problems at that resolution with that setup.  Is there a specific game you are having issues with, or just generally want to upgrade?  The GTX 690 should be faster than my 780ti and I have no problems at 2560x1440.  Maybe upgrade to a better monitor?  A nice 1080P panel wouldn't hurt.

That monitor is 1080p...

#5 kindlestick

kindlestick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:50 AM

I actually purposely lower the resolution to increase FPS. The game i'm playing is call Shattered Skies. Would anyone be able to give me guidance on what to buy if i were to upgrade?

#6 Corrupt_Liberty

Corrupt_Liberty

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:58 AM

That monitor is 1080p...

Gotcha...didn't look up the model, just saw he was running at 1600x900.

#7 Corrupt_Liberty

Corrupt_Liberty

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:02 AM

I actually purposely lower the resolution to increase FPS. The game i'm playing is call Shattered Skies. Would anyone be able to give me guidance on what to buy if i were to upgrade?

What FPS are you getting now?  I've never played Shattered Skies but I do get 50-60 FPS in DOOM at 1440p with settings maxed (this is on a 780ti but your 690 should do better than my card).

#8 kindlestick

kindlestick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:13 AM

the game is poorly coded but I've seen streamer with really strong computers play the game at higher FPS than me. I usually get 65 - 80. So I'm just seeing what my best options are if i were to ugprade 

#9 Corrupt_Liberty

Corrupt_Liberty

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:30 AM

You aren't going get much of a performance boost without spending a bunch on upgrades.  If the game is that poorly coded I'd guess you are SOL.  You should already be getting close to 980 performance, especially at that resolution.  If you were trying to play at higher resolutions I'd say your VRAM might be  a bottleneck.  But you can't fix a crap game by throwing hardware at it.

#10 kindlestick

kindlestick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:21 PM

Got it. Can anyone still tell me what would the best route for me to take in terms of most effective upgrade and cost efficent? I know it's going to cost a lot like you mentioned but I'm sure with the help of experienced people I can get the best option.

Thank you

#11 Corrupt_Liberty

Corrupt_Liberty

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:30 PM

I wouldn't bother with the CPU unless you're ready to buy new MB and RAM as well.  Maybe just pick up a GTX 1080.  You should see a pretty good improvement in frame rates and you won't have the unreliability that comes with SLI on that 690. 

#12 kindlestick

kindlestick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:30 PM

I don't think that graphics card is compatitble with my mother board.

#13 Corrupt_Liberty

Corrupt_Liberty

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:50 PM

Why wouldn't it be compatible?  It should work fine.

#14 kindlestick

kindlestick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

I was looking at this

http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/MSI/MSI_Z87-G45_GAMING/2155/Compatible_GPUs

correct me if im wrong

#15 Corrupt_Liberty

Corrupt_Liberty

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:57 AM

I was looking at this

http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/MSI/MSI_Z87-G45_GAMING/2155/Compatible_GPUs

correct me if im wrong

Yeah, that list is seriously outdated.  You won't have any problems with GPU compatibility on that motherboard.  The GTX 1080 will work great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users