Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VIPRE antivirus and rescue!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:09 PM

I recently became aware of this software on a client's computer and have never heard of it before. Does anyone know about or use this software? Any comments welcome. Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:54 AM

Hi:

https://www.vipreantivirus.com/

IIRC they trace their corporate lineage back to Sunbelt Software and its "Spysweeper" programs.

I have not personally used their products since those days, under XP.

I think their current products are cloud-based, with the inherent advantages and disadvantages thereof.

Others will have additional feedback, I'm sure.

Cheers,

MM

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:21 AM

Sunbelt Counterspy was among the early pioneers in anti-malware protection with an outstanding reputation for years. In May 2010, Sunbelt introduced VIPRE Anti-virus and upgraded Counterspy (see here).

Counterspy was officially discontinued a year later and customers were offered the option to switch to VIPRE Anti-virus previously owned by GFI but now developed by ThreatTrack Security Inc. As with most security vendors, existing web site links were redirected to the new product.

I have never personally used VIPRE. I have read it that it's blocking of malicious downloads was only adequate and that it's zero-day malware detection was below average. Generally if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely most anti-virus testing is going to detect anything since it takes time for new malware to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions. The researchers at ThreatTrack Security need to show some improvement in these areas.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:28 AM

My apartment complex [the owners' management company] uses Vipre -- so far, I have not heard of any troubles.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:31 AM

VIPRE Rescue is a handy, easy to use tool designed to clean your computer if you are already infected with a virus and your operating system is not working properly as a result of the infection. If you are already running VIPRE and a virus has disabled it, you can still run this program to clean your computer.

About VIPRE Rescue
How to download and use VIPRE Rescue
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:43 AM

Sunbelt Counterspy was among the early pioneers in anti-malware protection with an outstanding reputation for years. In May 2010, Sunbelt introduced VIPRE Anti-virus and upgraded Counterspy (see here).

Counterspy was officially discontinued a year later and customers were offered the option to switch to VIPRE Anti-virus previously owned by GFI but now developed by ThreatTrack Security Inc. As with most security vendors, existing web site links were redirected to the new product.

Ah, that's right!  You have jogged my failing memory cells -- I had forgotten about "Counterspy".

Yep, they were a great company, back in the old days.  Their products were solid and (as a real plus) their support was US-based.

Those were the days....

By the time they sold out and switched to VIPRE, I had moved on to other anti-malware and anti-virus products.

Wistful memories....

MM

#7 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

Vipre is also bundle with some NOD (Offsite IT Manage Support Provider) services. I seem Vipre been used by them as a product these services offer for desktops protection (The continuum is one of these companies) and so did GFI monitor as part of their package.

Vipre itself seems fine but I found them to be a pain to remove for people that had Vipre installed remotely and no longer use these NOD providers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users