Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot uninstall McAfee Live Safe

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:27 PM

My McAfee Live Safe subscription (came with a new PC) expires in a couple of days.  I intend to replace it with Avast Premier (already installed on another computer, I have a 3 device license).  So I have downloaded the Avast installer and the McAfee removal tool.  Disconnect from the Internet.  Try to uninstall McAfee, it says navigation to the site is cancelled.  OK, it wants the site.  Reconnect to the Internet.  Reboot computer.  Try again.  Same result, over and over.  What to do?

Thanks for enlightenment!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:40 PM

Can it be removed in Safe Mode with Networking?

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:54 PM

McAfee recommends you uninstall using the Windows Control Panel before running the MCPR (McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool) and to ensure that you activate your McAfee subscription before you uninstall if your McAfee products were pre-installed by your computer manufacturer. Read the IMPORTANT note in How to uninstall or reinstall McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR)

If you did not follow the procedure provided by McAfee and you're still having problems uninstalling, then I recommend contacting McAfee Technical Support (Home and Home Office) which provides assistance with uninstall/install issues, error messages, downloading problems and other techincial questions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:58 AM

I did follow the orthodox procedure - it is pretty standard for this situation.  First use Control Panel to uninstall, then use the removal tool.  Every time I tried to uninstall via Control Panel - whether I went to the Control Panel via the Classic Shell (which still works in Windows 10) or by the route listed by McAfee (which gives you a different looking screen, more "iconized") it would say "Navigation to the Web site was cancelled" or words to that effect.  That was what stymied me.  The McAfee instructions do say if Control Panel fails, go ahead and run the Removal Tool (when you go to do that, it says "Be sure you have uninstalled via Control Panel before running the Removal Tool" or words to that effect).  So finally I did run the Removal Tool and it did, so far as I can tell, remove all the remaining McAfee components.  I thereupon installed the Avast software instead.  Now I just have left juggling multiple Avast licenses (2 computers and one smartphone).  I expect Avast will help me with that if necessary.

So I guess this issue is solved.  I would, however, for the sake of peace of mind, like to know if there is an easy way to check that all bits of McAfee have really been removed?  File names or registry keys to scan for?

Just a footnote - this is the fourth Dell machine (two mine, two at the office) on which I have removed McAfee, and the first time the uninstall from Control Panel did not work.  I've also done antivirus software switches on a number of other machines belonging to others, and never had a problem before.

Many thanks!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:51 PM

... I would, however, for the sake of peace of mind, like to know if there is an easy way to check that all bits of McAfee have really been removed?  File names or registry keys to scan for?

Besides a failed uninstall, removal tools are created to remove all file and registry remnants. Of course, something could always be missed and you should be able to search for and manually delete any leftover files/folders. Same for the registry, you could do a search and see what turns up.

Registry leftovers are really no cause of concern unless it is an entry directly related to an issue you are experiencing. For example, when attempting to install a new anti-virus...it warns you that it has detected another anti-virus even though you already removed it. The longer you use a computer and install/uninstall software, remnants are going to be left behind.

#6 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:09 AM

Activating a subscription to McAffee should not be needed in order to later uninstall and then remove the McAffee.  I recently uninstalled and removed (MCRT) McAffee LiveSafe and this product had never been activated on the machine.  No trouble found in Control Panel - Programs -find McAffee in the list - Uninstall;

ReStart the computer;

Run the McAffee Consumer products Removal Tool;

Only ran the MCPR tool ONCE.

Finished.  No more McAffee.

(Quoting the post #3 did not work.  Refer to post #3.)

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:17 PM

Activating your McAfee subscription before you uninstall was the instructions provided by McAfee. That may have changed but if so, they have not removed that note from their Knowledge Base article.

#8 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:17 AM

Activating your McAfee subscription before you uninstall was the instructions provided by McAfee. That may have changed but if so, they have not removed that note from their Knowledge Base article.

Even more so, upon finishing (as I believe) the removal steps for McAffee, and later looking at Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall, they both were found to be active, enabled.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:58 AM

Regardless...we are glad you were successful in removing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users