Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

storage questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:11 PM

Can anyone tell me why I have so many items listed in the below attachment.  I have one physical drive and have not created any of my own logical drives.  I realize one is my C:\ drive, and then there is the OEM factory recovery drive, and the small section that Windows 8 created when installed.  But if you ask me I seem to have duplicates or something going on.  

Thanks,

Scott

Attached File  Capture.PNG   358.41KB   0 downloads 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:42 PM

Was this an upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? The 400MB partition is your Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) that allows you to access startup repair and system restore at boot along with other options. The EFI partition is required for booting. The C: partition as you know is the Windows partition. The other 450MB WinRE partition was added during the upgrade because there was not enough space in the Windows 8 WinRE. The Recovery Partition is for doing a factory reset back to 8. I don't know why Disk Management lists your recovery partition twice.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/16726-why-there-two-recovery-partitions.html

There is an additional partition that is not detected using disk management called the Microsoft System Reserved Partition.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824839.aspx

For the amount of space they take up I would leave the partitions alone.

If this was not an upgrade from 8 to 10 I have no idea why you have two WinRE partitions unless one was added during an upgrade to 8.1.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 September 2016 - 07:01 PM.

#3 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:37 AM

JohnC_21, yes it was an upgrade, but from 8 to 8.1.

Thanks,

Scott

#4 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:22 AM

Can anyone tell me why I have so many items listed in the below attachment.  I have one physical drive and have not created any of my own logical drives.  I realize one is my C:\ drive, and then there is the OEM factory recovery drive, and the small section that Windows 8 created when installed.  But if you ask me I seem to have duplicates or something going on.  

Thanks,

Scott

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

It depends of your system and  of your personal choices. If you have only one OP system, it really not necessary for the two Recover partiton, but these small EFI partitions let both stay.
It also does not need to be so large (25.36GB), it is sufficient for about 10GB. So, there can be released about 40 GB.  (Is that a little or a lot, do not know).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users