Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB/Flash drive won't open until computer is restarted.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 maxharmony

maxharmony

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

I am using an ASUS Desktop PC, Windows 10 home, version 1511 and the flash drive is a SanDisk Cruzer CZ36 64 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive

I keep my files on a flash drive and I open the flash drive to access files every time I'm on my computer.  Until recently every time I insert the flash drive in the USB port the drive lights up and gives me access to the info.  However, in the last 30 days (steadily getting worse) the flash drive won't light up/click on unless I do a restart of the computer.  At this time, it's happening every time I want to use the flash drive.  At first I thought I was the flash drive itself, like it was getting old and had some deterioration, so I bought a new one and transferred all the info to the new drive.  There was no change. 

My questions are: 

1.  Is this even a problem? or am I being needlessly paranoid.

2.  Can starting/restarting the computer with the flash drive in the USB port damage the flash drive or the files on it?   

3.  What is causing this?

Thanks a lot,

maxharmony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:22 PM

FWIW:  There are times when devices inserted into my USB slots are not initially recognized...different flash drives, different .mp3 players...all using the same ports.  I believe it's simply a situation where the configuration is expecting A, but I insert B.  I have noted that rebooting causes the proper device to be identified/recognized.  My guess is that this is the result of not properly safely removing a prior device.  My answer for that is to just leave the flash drive or .mp3 player in, since I have other USB slots which can be used for other devices.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users