Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repeating keys on damaged internal keyboard even when external is plugged in

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bbaroness

Bbaroness

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:17 AM

So this genius was having a glass wine while doing some late night research (I was youtubeing cat videos) when my own cat pranced along and knocked the wine onto the computer.

After all of the usual recovery steps the computer is fine but the keyboard and track pad no longer work. This occured over a month ago so its as dry as it will ever be.

I have resigned to use an external keyboard and for a couple of weeks it was doing the trick but every so often for long periods of time, when any text field is selected the "[" key repeats incessantly making it impossible to do anything on the device.

I assume the key is being triggered still I have removed the physical key to see if it was stuck or if I could clean it but the problem persists.

I am wondering if there is a way to have the typing function permanently routed to the external keyboard connected via usb port.

Or if anyone else can suggest something :(. I have been told it may be possible to replace the internal keyboard but I really dont know where I would start

Its an HP ENVY 17 Leap Motion SE running windows 10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:04 AM

Usually I would say to remove the keyboard and detach the cable connected to the motherboard but with this particular model getting to the keyboard cable is like climbing Mount Everest. 

You could uninstall the keyboard in Device Manager but this would only be temporary until the next boot. Make sure you uninstall the internal and not the USB.

Here is a video showing the keyboard replacement on an Envy 17

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 September 2016 - 11:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users