Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netflix stutters, High performance PC??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wfh2ii94

wfh2ii94

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:09 AM

Hello! I have a computer built for gaming in my living room. We also use it to watch movies, listen to music, and mostly watch Netflix!

My problem is Netflix stutters with video more often than I like and is very noticeable. No stutters in audio. My computer pays DVDs, downloaded content, and 4K videos just fine.

My computer specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate

Everything is up-to date as of right now. 

IOLA System Mechanic fresh clean on every boot.

Avast Security 

AI Suite is in High Performance mode. 

IT IS NOT MY INTERNET CONNECTION!

650 Watt Gold Certified PSU

ASUS MA99X Pro R2.0

AMD FX-8350 at 4.3 GHz w/ something 212 cooler.

16GB DDR3 2333MHz RAM

470 GB SSD ADATA

PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 4GB

All cooled by 5 fans along with the CPU fans.

Edited by hamluis, 05 September 2016 - 02:59 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:14 AM

First thing...with System Mechanic installed, any number of things may be contributing to your known problem.

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Let's take a look at what the system data reveals.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course): p22004369.gif

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot. You will see the following prompt:

p22004371.gif

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

p22004372.gif

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:41 AM

Netflix has addressed a host of issues like this and has posted information for correcting these problems.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/230

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 wfh2ii94

wfh2ii94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:56 PM

Ok, Netflix isn't stopping to buffer, it's not crashing due to improper registry cleaning methods. It's not crashing at all. I can hook up my $200 Chromebook up to my TV and play Netflix flawlessly. But this is very, very inconvenient.  

This computer has no viruses, no malware, no unknown applications, no add-ons to my browser. Google Chrome is my browser of choice. 

My little brothers play online games for hours without any lag at all. I can play 4k YouTube without any issues. 

Netflix techs are pretty useless. They keep telling me to do the same things I did before I even started asking questions. Reset the modem, test Internet speed ( I tested through my computer and the modem ), restarted my computer, made sure everything was up to date all software. No programs run in the background. CPU usage usually stays below 10% on all 8 cores when playing Netflix.

I have reinstalled Chrome, Adobe, Java, SilverLite, and even turned off System Mechanic LiveBoost. 

Nothing has made a difference and I am very, VERY irritated!!  :deadhorse: :angry:

#5 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:31 PM

Can you please post the logs requested in post #2?

Edited by Phantom010, 05 September 2016 - 02:32 PM.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:21 PM

+1 for Speccy report.

If the phone streams netflix well and the computer does not, the first thing I would try is uninstalling Avast(not disable) or anything that monitors HTTP for isolating reasons. Creating a test user account in Windows that doesn't have Avast installed is a alternative.

Also, does anyone know if Netflix is full HTML5 now? Is testing Silverlight still relevant?

Last, try this speed test, which tells you the speed you are getting from Netflix's servers.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:31 AM

Are you using Coogle Chrome 37 or later?

Are you using Silver light (4 or 5) or HTML5?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 wfh2ii94

wfh2ii94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:16 PM

Well, I solved the problem by ditching Windows all together on my media end and switched to Linux. Now Netflix runs smoother than butter on a bagel. 

I now love the speed! It boots within 7 seconds flat! All applications start within split second. Elementary OS, Solus, Mint, and Ubuntu MATE all work beautifully! Now to install Steam and run my games! Screw MicroCRAP Windblows! 

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:05 PM

Windows has it's fair share of vulnerabilities and bugs but from a GUI standpoint, Windows 7 is decent enough to get the job done IMO. Where Linux excels is the integration and standardization of 3rd party software. This strength seems amplified by the fact that most Windows systems come pre-loaded with bloatware. Since software designers don't/can't sell software for Linux systems, there is no temptation for upsell. No upsell means no crappy bloatware. A good example where this failed is Linux's evil clone; android. Since it came pre-installed on a ton of phones, large corporations jumped on the bandwagon of making android apps for their applications, even when not applicable. Many didn't have the skill inhouse, so they would outsource the work to "cheap labor" programmers, leading to a inferior product and possible securities issues. 

As for your issue, I would be curious how performance compares with a ISO clone of your Windows OS vs Mint in two virtual boxes. 

Edited by Trikein, 22 September 2016 - 03:06 PM.

#10 wfh2ii94

wfh2ii94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:23 PM

Windows has it's fair share of vulnerabilities and bugs but from a GUI standpoint.

I hate Windows with a passion, I am now running Ubuntu Mate 16.04. I even did a clean install of Windows 7 with all the correct drivers, Netflix  still lags throughout the show. I seriously don't understand this. I can run 50+ tabs in Chrome on Ubuntu and get clean playback, even with YouTube videos playing in the background! I use Avast anti-virus, I tried others, but no difference. I can play GTA V with no lags, but can't Netflix -.- I hope Steam for Linux takes off because Windows is irritating and I really don't want two Operating Systems on my computer, that takes up too much space. 

Even on my cheap Acer Chromebook, Netflix plays smooth as butter! UGH!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users