Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading my ram

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 skullypac

skullypac

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:26 AM

Hey guys! I would like your help in order to get a ram suitable for my pc.So here's my pc model http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c02740434
I did a research and i found out on ebay a ram that might work but i am not sure.
Here's the ram i found http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-samsung-4GB-DDR3-PC3-10600-1333MHZ-240Pin-Desktop-Memory-ram-NON-ECC-/152113058592?hash=item236aa51320:g:C04AAOSwtJZXUFV3. Can you guys tell me if its gonna work and if not can you please suggest me one that will? couse i order one and its not suitable for my pc. :( Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 04 September 2016 - 09:33 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardwware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:53 AM

Well...I don't think that "upgrading" is the right word for any OEM system.  RAM is tied to the motherboard...unless you intend to try to go with a different motherboard AND RAM, what you desccribe is a replacement.

First question...what do you really want to obtain as a result?

How much RAM is currently installed in the system?

Worth A Look

I, personally, don't believe in buying RAM from anyone other than a qualified entity that's willing to guarantee that it's the correct RAM and provides easy RMA if the sold product doesn't work.  Normally, that means I buy RAM from Crucial.com when it comes to OEM systems.

Louis

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:53 AM

It should work unless there are random compatibility problems.

#4 skullypac

skullypac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:30 AM

Well...I don't think that "upgrading" is the right word for any OEM system.  RAM is tied to the motherboard...unless you intend to try to go with a different motherboard AND RAM, what you desccribe is a replacement.

First question...what do you really want to obtain as a result?

How much RAM is currently installed in the system?

Worth A Look

I, personally, don't believe in buying RAM from anyone other than a qualified entity that's willing to guarantee that it's the correct RAM and provides easy RMA if the sold product doesn't work.  Normally, that means I buy RAM from Crucial.com when it comes to OEM systems.

Louis

Hello and thank you for the reply.4GB ram is currently installed and i would like another 4gb to be installed.Well the ram of the site you listed looks like the ram i already have installed plus all its specs match CL DDR3 non ecc etc but it does not have one of those small black things (mangets? dunno their name :( ) will it work? and can you please tell me if this site is trusted

Edited by skullypac, 04 September 2016 - 11:34 AM.

#5 skullypac

skullypac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:31 AM

It should work unless there are random compatibility problems.

Hello and thanks for the reply.do you know any trusted sites where i can buy rams for my rig? Thanks in advance

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:00 PM

Hello and thank you for the reply.4GB ram is currently installed and i would like another 4gb to be installed.Well the ram of the site you listed looks like the ram i already have installed plus all its specs match CL DDR3 non ecc etc but it does not have one of those small black things (mangets? dunno their name :( ) will it work? and can you please tell me if this site is trusted

Memory chips (under sticker)? It probably has heat spreader so you won't see those "small black things".

Hello and thanks for the reply.do you know any trusted sites where i can buy rams for my rig? Thanks in advance

No idea where you should buy those. Others may help there.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/pavilion-p6710f

http://www.upgradememory.com/ram/compaq-hp-pavilion-p6710gr/

Louis

#8 skullypac

skullypac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:55 PM

Thank you!!! one last question the first site you mentioned listed me as p6710f and no p6710gr is there any difference? Thanks again!

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:59 PM

If you intend to add more RAM I would suggest running a Speccy Snapshot which will provide us with the module/s that you already have installed.  This computer is capable of running in dual channel which increases the throughput speed by almost double, so it is well worth pursuing.  In dual channel the modules need to be matched, this is why we need the Speccy information.  Once I know what the module/s are I can provide you with links to purchase the module/s.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:04 PM

Thank you!!! one last question the first site you mentioned listed me as p6710f and no p6710gr is there any difference? Thanks again!

There is a different motherboard for the two different models.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:34 PM

My mistake...I can't see that Crucial reflects anything for your model.

But...take a look Here.

Louis

#12 skullypac

skullypac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:37 PM

My mistake...I can't see that Crucial reflects anything for your model.

But...take a look Here.

Louis

thank you for all the time youve put in my friend ;)

#13 skullypac

skullypac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

Hello Arachibutyrophobia here's what you wanted me to do  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/cdzoRbjcUQjzSWMh2YYK5jb

Edited by skullypac, 04 September 2016 - 01:44 PM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:52 PM

Amazon has that module for sale at $15.51 plus $4.48 shipping.

Using this module with the other will give you 8GB of RAM and will run in dual channel.

#15 skullypac

skullypac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

Amazon has that module for sale at $15.51 plus $4.48 shipping.

Using this module with the other will give you 8GB of RAM and will run in dual channel.

thank you so much my friend!! may i ask one more last question? i already bought a patriot 4gb pc3-10600 and when i tried to plugged it my pc would not start.The technisians said that HP accepts only rams that are made by HP is that true? couse i dont really want to waste another 20 euros?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users