Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD My Passport Ultra Metal error?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 A6Tech

A6Tech

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:02 AM

Hello everyone. So, I bought my external drive today, WD My Passport Ultra Metal Edition 2TB. What I've noticed happens all the time is, when I leave my drive idle for more than 5 minutes, whenever I try to access a random folder in it, I get an error: "The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error". I've contacted WD support and they told me to run their quick and extended tests on the drive, and also a S.M.A.R.T. test. All the tests passed with no error. Then they told me it could be related to drivers, but, I'm pretty sure I have the latest drivers installed, since I downloaded them directly from the WD site for my HDD. Is there anything else that could cause this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:29 AM

Disable Selective Suspend and if you have Windows 8 then turn off USB 3 link power management. Set power option to High Performance.

Another good page. Check your USB hubs in Device Manager.

#3 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:50 AM

Disabling Selective Suspend solved the issue. Thank you very much.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,598 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:59 AM

Your Welcome. Glad that sorted out the problem and thanks for the update.

#5 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:52 AM

Actually, my bad, I probably didn't leave the drive idle for too long. The error returned after I left the drive idle again for about 10 minutes. Then the indicator light on the drive starts flashing (meaning idle) and that's when the error starts appearing when I try to access a specific folder.

EDIT: What I've also noticed is when I power up or restart my computer, with My Passport connected, it is not detected at all in My Computer and in Disk Management it shows that the drive is not initialized and asks me to initialize it using MBR or GPT partition style.

Edited by A6Tech, 04 September 2016 - 10:04 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,598 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:46 AM

What OS are you using? Have you tried the drive on different ports?

Does the same problem occur  on another computer. If it does then it's a drive problem. I would contact WD and tell them you get not initialized on two different computers. I would try a different cable also.

It could also be an issue with the USB bridge card in the drive. The drive passes but only when the drive is recognized.

You could rule out a drive problem by booting a live linux distro and letting the drive idle. Fatdog64 would be good for this. Attach the drive and you will see a USB icon appear in the lower left of the. Clicking once on the icon will mount the drive and you will get a Window showing the contents. Close out the window, let the drive idle then click the drive again. If you get a Windows and can open folders and files then it's a windows problem. 

You can burn the iso to disk by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. Fatdog64-702.iso

Edit: If you bought the drive locally, I would consider doing an exchange.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 September 2016 - 11:00 AM.

#7 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:36 PM

I did exactly what you wrote, just with another Linux distro, since Fatdog didn't work for some reason. And the drive worked like a charm!  I made an error before saying that the drive doesn't go to idle state. It is actually always in idle state when I don't use it, which is signaled by a steady on indicator light. When I open some folders on the drive, it goes to an activity state, which is signaled by a fast flashing indicator light. The third state that my drive enters in Windows 10 is a system standby state, signaled by a slow flashing indicator light. That is the state when the error appears. The drive never enters the third state in Linux, but for some reason goes to system standby state in Windows, even though the PC is still on. I will try mounting the drive on VirtualBox Windows I'm using and see if it enters the system standby state there.

Edit: For some reason, the driver fails installing on a Virtual machine. I would like to explore a few more options before I go with Windows reinstall.

Edited by A6Tech, 04 September 2016 - 02:45 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,598 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:23 PM

Did you disable the ability to turn off the device in Device Manager?

1. In the Device Manager dialog box, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers, right-click USB Root Hub, and then click Properties.
  2. In the USB Root Hub Properties dialog box, click the Power Management tab. The Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box is displayed.  Uncheck the box.

#9 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:50 PM

Just checked Device Manager, the option was already disabled. But, I just noticed that this actually happens when the drive is also in an idle state, not just system standby state. So I guess, I'll have to reinstall Windows unless you got more tricks under the sleeve :) But anyway, thank you, I appreciate your time.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,598 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:59 PM

I don't know of anything else other than if the computer has UEFI there is a standby setting that can be disabled. Also to may sure you are using High Performance for a Power Configuration. 

I have a portable WD that put a virtual CD on the computer when attached. I had to disable it in Device Manager because it was messing with by backup software. I am sure if this would be your problem though.

#11 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:02 PM

Oh, I forgot. The only thing I didn't check is if it works on another PC. I'll check that and if it fails there, I will reinstall Windows I guess and if it still doesn't work, I'll replace it. Thank you very much.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,598 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:24 PM

No Problem. If possible post an update. Thanks.

#13 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:15 AM

I've tried the drive on a Windows 7 PC and what happens there is that no error pops up after leaving the drive idle, but, whichever folder I open, there are no files in it, like all files are hidden or sth. Then, when I reconnect the drive, all files are there.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,598 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:41 AM

Strange. Did the Windows 7 computer have USB selective suspend disabled? I am not sure why you could not see folders on the drive but no files. I am not sure but maybe running chkdsk on the WD would help. Personally, I would RMA the drive if at all possible.

#15 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:33 AM

Yep, USB selective suspend was disabled. Running chkdsk on the drive now. Will be back with results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users