Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Won't Start Up, Dell DataSafe or Boyans Dual Boot Repair?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 akcorp2003

akcorp2003

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:42 AM

Hey everyone!

My machine:

Dell Inspiron N5110

Dual boot: Windows 7, Windows 10 (anniversary)

My situation:

My windows 7 boot configurations seemed to have checked out after I either resized the partitions using Aomei or after the upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary Edition.

When I hit Windows 7, the screen would show that it recommends to do the Startup Repair. I launch that and it says "Loading Windows Files." Then it goes to the Windows 10 logo and shortly after, it goes blue screen with the code "WDF_Violation." I tried booting into Safe Mode but that leads to the exact same error.

I have a Dell DataSafe Local Backup recovery image so I booted it up. I see two options that might work for me:

• Restore computer and preserve my new or changed files
  • Restore my computer

I don't want to nuke both Windows 10 and Windows 7 so which option should I choose? Does anyone have experience with this software? 

I was also looking at this program: https://www.boyans.net/DualBootRepair.html

Did it work for anyone?

Finally, anyone know what WDF_Violation is?

Any help here is greatly appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:59 AM

Did you upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10, or are both of these separate installations?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 akcorp2003

akcorp2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:43 PM

Did you upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10, or are both of these separate installations?

Those are separate installations. So on one partition I have Windows 7 and the another I have Windows 10.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

Are you given the option to boot from both of the operating system when you start the computer?

If you look in Disk Management do you see both operating system on separate partitions?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 akcorp2003

akcorp2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:01 PM

Are you given the option to boot from both of the operating system when you start the computer?

If you look in Disk Management do you see both operating system on separate partitions?

Yes. I can see both options when I start the computer (does that mean the MBR is alright?).

I see both partitions in Disk Management.

C: (my Windows 10) says Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Logical Drive

D: (my Windows 7) says Primary Partition.

Both say that they are healthy.

I also have a Recovery Partition that was created by Dell but unfortunately, I can't access because of this problem...  :(

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:07 AM

Please make a screen shot of the Disk Management and post it in your topic.

How to make a screenshot

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

#7 akcorp2003

akcorp2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:34 PM

Here's the screenshot from disk management. Let me know what other things I can provide!

Attached Files

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:17 AM

Do you have the installation disc for your version of Windows 7?

#9 akcorp2003

akcorp2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:51 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows 7 installation disc. I made a recovery disc when I got the computer but that was through Dell's software. That's where I am at right now with the Data DataSafe Local Backup.

The options I listed in the first post are what seems to be the preferred options without nuking my entire computer (as I only want to fix the Windows 7 partition). I could also call Dell to see if I can purchase a Windows 7 recovery disc. What's the best course of action?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:53 AM

I would suggest that you get a installation disc, not a recovery disc if possible, so you can access the System Recovery Options where you will have several options.  One of these is the startup repair which may resolve this.  You can also open the Command Prompt where you can use commands to rebuild the boot record.

#11 akcorp2003

akcorp2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:35 PM

Yeah, reading around, it seemed that getting an installation disc would be great. However, I'm not sure if Dell still sells them. Is there any particular reason why a recovery disc may not do the trick?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:24 AM

You can do a automated repair with the recovery disc, it may be worth giving it a try.  Unfortunately you can't use the recovery disc to access the system recovery options and use the Startup repair in those options.  

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Do you have all of your important data backup on removable media?

#13 akcorp2003

akcorp2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:19 PM

I can't boot into Safe Mode. :( It gets to the same blue screen that I mentioned in my first post.

I have backed up some data but I will be getting around to it once I buy a new external hard drive.

So I just remembered I had another Windows 7 computer at home, and I made a recovery disk. I was able to access the settings no problem (Startup Repair, Command Line, etc). Start up repair said it couldn't fix it and yielded this result:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline

Problem Signature 1: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 2: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 3: unknown

Problem Signature 4: 507

Problem Signature 5: external media

Problem Signature 6: 1

Problem Signature 7: no root cause

Locale ID: 1033

While I was in there, I tried running sfc /scannow /offbootdir ... those commands but they didn't work. 

I also tried bootrec /fixmbr but that didn't fix my problem either.

Would my next step be to try and use Dell DataSafe tools and try and "Restore My Computer?"

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:01 AM

Open the command prompt and run chkdsk /r .

Be sure to watch the last of the scan to see the results and post the results in your topic.

Edited by dc3, 09 September 2016 - 09:02 AM.

#15 akcorp2003

akcorp2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:02 AM

Funny thing happened.

So I inserted my system repair disc into my computer, booted it, and startup repair started running again.

This time, after it finished, I perused through the results and it had this to say:

Test 1
Registry is corrupt
System restore: cancelled
Registry roll back: completed successfully ErrorCode=0x0

Test2:
Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem 
System restore: cancelled
System files integrity check and repair
Failed error code=0x2

So I rebooted my computer to see if anything happens and Windows 7 started BOOTING UP!

It ran probably chkdsk operations in the beginning as it was doing a lot of:

Deleting extended attribute set due to the presence of prepare point in file xxxxxxxxxxxx

(where x is some number)

Afterwards, I logged into Windows 7 and everything was working! (I had to reinstall Norton because something got messed up with it)

I looked through the Event Logs in Windows and it did note that the registry hive was corrupted and subsequently fixed. It has seemed to have performed a System Restore. Not entirely sure if it did do that...

I rebooted Windows 7 a few times and it seemed to be working! Windows 10 is also functioning.

Thank you dc3 for your support!! :D Really do appreciate all the help you gave me everyday!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users