Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal Wifi Card Antennas

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xenosaga01

xenosaga01

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:42 AM

So here is my dilemma and problem that I am having. I am currently having issues with an HP Envy DV7-7250us Laptop which has an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230  card installed(factory card). This is a 3 year old laptop, and has had issues with wifi since was taken out of the box. Took it apart a few days ago and finally realized part of the issue could be the antennas. One of the antenna cables was damaged from the factory and was never connected to the card due to the connector being damaged, however this was the auxilliary cable. Prior to this though it was working well enough. Meaning it had a stable connection to my router and I could access the internet. However after I reformatted it and installed windows 7, it fails to connect properly to my network. It shows that it is fully connected, but it does not have access to the internet. Windows says its a problem with my gateway, but it is not cause I have many other devices connected and they are fine. Its not the firewall cause I have that disabled. Ipconfig shows everything is fine, but I get 100% packet loss when I attempt a ping. I thought maybe replacing the antennas might fix the problem but I installed a new one and it hasnt fixed the problem. Its not the card either, because it works when installed in my other laptop. Anyone have any ideas?

I have attached a screenshot of ipconfig showing that it has a connection.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:37 AM

Install the intel driver for your OS here if you have not done so.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26173/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7-?product=66889

You  may want to look at getting a USB dongle wifi adapter such as this.

http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/TL-WN725N.html

#3 xenosaga01

xenosaga01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:54 AM

So, weirdly enough. If I disable the 802.11n Mode on the advance page of the network card, my connection is fine...I get about 15-25mbps download...But when it is enabled, my laptop wont load anything even though it says it is connected. My router is broadcasting 802.11n, or at least thats what windows 7 detects when i hover over the wifi connection for my network. Anyone have any idea about why that is happening?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:13 AM

If you get n speeds with other devices then I would have to say it's the card.

I found this page that may help. And some good points here

#5 xenosaga01

xenosaga01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:05 PM

It cant be the cards. The both do the same thing on the problem laptop and both work fine in the other laptop. Im starting to think that it is bad software. Might be time to switch from intel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users