Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updates For Windows Xp & Vista Beta2: 8/16, 8/17/06

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:34 AM

Update for Windows XP (KB909095)

Install this update to fix a situation where the computer does not hibernate and you receive an "Insufficient System Resources Exist to Complete the API" error message.

Install only if your system is experiencing the symptoms mentioned in KB909095.

Update for Windows XP (KB916846)

Install this update if the Server Message Block (SMB) communication between a SMB client computer and a SMB server fails when the SMB signing settings are mismatched in Group Policy or in the registry.

Install only if your system is experiencing the symptoms mentioned in KB916846.

Update for Windows XP (KB920872)

This is a reliability update for Windows XP machines. Install this audio component update to prevent memory corruption issues which may cause an unstable state on a computer that is running Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Install only if your system is experiencing the symptoms mentioned in KB920872.

Update for Windows Vista Beta 2 (KB922917)

An issue has been identified that may cause you to lose access to protected media music, videos, and recorded TV after upgrading to Windows Vista RC1.

Edited by quietman7, 23 August 2006 - 07:12 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:02 AM

It doesn't bode well for the touted security of Vista that MS is issuing a security patch for its Beta release.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:31 AM

Your right. Next thing they will be issuing a patch for the patch!!

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:21 PM

Quietman7,
I'm in learning mode how to read MS patches. I noticed that the KB numbers in your links actually go to the slightly different KB numbers. Is that a link problem or does MS have yet another numbering system?

I'm sitting in front of a list of 10 downloaded previously updates, and still contemplating what's safe to install, and since the numbers didn't match - that's why this note.

Secondly, I just realized for the first time that when it says Windows XP it means Windows XP.
NOT WINDOWS XP-HOME.

Perhaps it's obvious to everybody, but it wasn't to me. Especially that this forum is for "the novice user", of which, I suspect, most have XP-home. Most everyone who tries to manage a computer at home is a "novice user" in that in most workplaces real administrators do the job and we can't learn much. Besides, servers and networks are a slightly different beast.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for letting me know about that link. It has been corrected. Now to check if a particular update applies to your specific OS go to the KB Article, scroll down toward the bottom and look under "APPLIES TO". That's where Microsoft will list which OS the update is for. All of the above (except for the Vista patch) applies to both XP Home and XP Pro.

Now if you ever find an update that your now sure about, go to the Windows Security & Updates. Next to the search box at the top, type the full KB number (KB916846) and click "Go" to get a search results page for that update. Look at the list and click on the link for your OS to view the quick details. In that same section there is also a link to the applicable KB article which you can read in full.

Sometimes you can just type the KB number in google to find it even quicker but newer patches will not always produce search results because they have not been out long enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users