I'll try to be short, i've shared apartment with people i dont trust. I dont anymore. i've been out for more than year, but i still use the same laptop (Dell Inspiron) i used when i lived there. I wont get into any details, i'll just say i have reason to belive they had something installed back than, althou my machine was always protected with password. Here is what i need to know..
1. Since no one knew my password, could they have inserted some tiny flash usb, which i wont notice, that could somehow installed keylogger when i unlock the laptop, and that's how they to have intercepted my windows lock password? Would i see any pop up or premission to isntall something, or it could have secretly installed anything the moment i unlocked it (I think i would have noticied anything on the sides, but if i was on a hurry i could have missed it?)
2. Lets assume they managed to access the laptop, could they have installed any remote control programs which i wont notice, so they could constaltly access in the future? I only lived in this place for month and a half, and i have never left the laptop there for more than couple of hours. Maybe once or twice for bit more, but still never for long.
3. When i left the apartment and went back home, could they have still gained access, when i am on different ip, miles away from them. Can they do that for long periods of time (not just once or twice, but lets say to access my pc every week to check information or to mess with things?) Wouldn't that require constant wake on lan managments, since they have no idea when would i be home or not)? I ve never noticed anything like laptop waking up on its own or something.
4. Mostly what i am worried, can they boot the laptop remotely? (i know they can set it for wake lan with magic packets, but still i am asking about doing that for many sessions, not just a few) I usualy have left the pc closed, in which case it simply lockes itself and go in state of sleep/hybernation. I am not sure if wifi works while the laptop is sleeping/hybernating (again, i am talking dell inspiron)
5. If all these are possible, could someone with little above avarage knowlege of software be able to do that (not professionals, but still people that know things about software), or it will require a lot of profesionalism?
6. If anything had happened, could i ask the police or any specialist to track down who had remote access? Will they be able to track down from where remote control was executed, even if it happend months ago. (If it was those guys, could we get to them?)
Again, just to point out a few things! Once i left no one had any physical access anymore.
I am not asking what to do from now on, ive taken care for future, my question is if this thing could have happened under my nose for long time without me having a clue, and also not just one or two random accesses, but a constant, systematic access.
I've had a lot of inormation, accounts and many other stuff (some of which super imortant) that had passed through that laptop in the last year, and if anyone could have remotely accessed and had control, though messing around, i could go to jail. since the trace, as far as i know, will lead to my ip (when pc is used remotely i belive it used the ip of the machine that is remotely controled, not the ip from where control is taken).
Edited by resertedlab, 03 September 2016 - 08:07 PM.