Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro Password Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:18 PM

One of the teachers I work with has an old program she uses for teaching Spanish. She needs an XP Computer and we have a couple.

But we cannot get past the password screen. We even contacted the previous tech administrator and he doesn't remember. He did tell me where the original XP Pro Install disk is with serial. 

Is there a way around the password or is reinstall the only option?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:40 PM

Booting into Safe Mode will show the Administrator Account. You can use that to reset the password of your teacher's account.

#3 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:18 PM

Booting into Safe Mode will show the Administrator Account. You can use that to reset the password of your teacher's account.

Thank you for your response, that does not work for XP Pro. In Pro safe mode asks for a password

I've created a live boot CD, booted to the CD and a command prompt. Navigated to C:\documents and settings\administrator> then used the command net user administrator * and reset the password. It worked on three of the four XP computers we still have.   The fourth has a log in to: option. I think its the problem, the other three does not have that option, can this option be removed from the command prompt?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:30 AM

Try resetting or enabling the hidden Administrator Account using Nt offline registry editor. Create a boot disk and reset the password. Only do this if the computer does not have EFS.

http://www.howtogeek.com/96805/how-to-reset-your-windows-password-without-an-install-cd/

Video

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!
If password is reset on users that have EFS encrypted files, and the system is XP or newer, all encrypted files for that user will be UNREADABLE! and cannot be recovered unless you remember the old password again
 If you don't know if you have encrypted files or not, you most likely don't have them. (except maybe on corporate systems)

If you can access the command prompt to reset the admin password maybe you could use it to add a person to the admin group.

net user [username] [password] /add 

new localgroup administrators [username] /add  

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 September 2016 - 07:34 AM.

#5 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:29 PM

Go it, thanks JohnC_21

#6 Beerjockeylynn

Beerjockeylynn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

I can't boot in safe mode with command prompt it takes me back to PW & UN menu. Lost PW and no backup admin running Windows XP Pro on a Compaq comp

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:17 PM

Try booting the lazesoft recovery disk to reset your password.

http://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recovery-suite-free.html

Download and install the program on another computer in order to create the bootable media.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 April 2017 - 03:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users