Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

COMPLICATED - Raid 0 Issues at BIOS Level

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 rhysony

rhysony

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:24 PM

Complicated one people!

I would be forever grateful if someone manages to solve this!

It began when I originally purchased the Gigabyte P35W V5 laptop, I purchased this and planned to put my own M.2 SSDs inside as it has two slots. I planned to configure it as raid 0. So I went ahead and did this, everything went smoothly and I managed to get it configured as raid 0 but then I found other faults with the laptop. I planned on exchanging it but they were out of stock so I got the P35X V6.

The problem I have is I've backed up the OS onto a bootable USB but the BIOS doesn't find my M.2 SSDs at the BIOS level. These are the same M.2 SSDs that worked fine on the other laptop, I never formatted them and kept them setup as a Raid 0 but it doesn't give me the option to change the ACHI to SATA.

So I then installed the OS onto the HDD which I also installed on the laptop as there is a 2.5 Inch slot for it. The OS now boots from the HDD, I updated the BIOS and even tried to use the "Intel Rapid Technology" but could not find it on the laptop even though it tells me it is up to date.

I then attempted to update the BIOS and still no change. So I have two M.2 SSDs configured in Raid 0 installed on this laptop but are not showing up correctly on the laptop. There is no data on the M.2 SSDs, I've tried removing one of the M.2 SSDs and still no change.

The other issue is before the Raid configuration would show on Windows 10 with all the other drives as the two SSDs combined as it should be which is proof that it worked but for some reason I could not install the OS onto it cause of the issue at the BIOS level.

I then got desperate and removed one of the SSDs to try a single one to try and fix the issue now it doesn't show on windows. I've gone to disk management and it is there but it tells me it is not initialised and unallocated, it doesn't give me the chance to create a volume either.

The M.2 SSDs are fine, as they do come up under the advanced tab in the BIOS indicating which ports their installed under in the laptop, I just need to find a way to remove the RAID configuration and put them back to their original state which I can't with the current issue with the BIOS.

Just to be clear it shows them installed but it's not a bootable drive and it doesn't have any SATA option either.

Hope that's clear.

I have got two 1TB M.2 SSDs in Raid 0 which worked perfectly on the last Gigabyte laptop.

I also have a 2TB HDD installed which is now running the OS.

Many Thanks
Rhys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:37 PM

If you open a command prompt and type

diskpart

list disk

Are both M.2 drives listed?

#3 rhysony

rhysony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:49 PM

Hi John,

So it shows two hard drives:

Disk 0 1863GB (I think this is my HDD which is currently being used to run the OS which is 2TB)
Disk 1 1863GB (These must be the M.2 SSDs configured in RAID as these are single 1TB M.2 SSDs

Thanks

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:00 PM

I did not see anything about being able to break a RAID in UEFI in the computer's manual. Disk 0 is usually the boot drive.

diskpart has a command called clean that deletes the partition table. I am not sure how this would work on the RAID 0 drives. The command would be 

diskpart

list disk

select disk 1

clean

But first do the following. Download Partition Wizard. Run the program. Are both M.2 drives listed? If you see both M.2 disks then click on each disk and select delete all partitions. This will basically put both drives in a clean state.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 September 2016 - 06:00 PM.

#5 rhysony

rhysony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:07 PM

It only shows a single M.2 SSD drive which is under disk 1, as it's still configured as a raid 0. So technically both SSDs are there just showing as a single drive?

Disk 0 is my HDD which is where the OS currently lies. I'll try downloading that to see if it works.

#6 rhysony

rhysony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:12 PM

I've downloaded Partition Wizard and it shows the same thing two hard drives, my HDD and my SSD(Raid 0). The M.2 SSD is showing as a single drive here also.

#7 rhysony

rhysony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:15 PM

I did not see anything about being able to break a RAID in UEFI in the computer's manual. Disk 0 is usually the boot drive.

diskpart has a command called clean that deletes the partition table. I am not sure how this would work on the RAID 0 drives. The command would be 

diskpart

list disk

select disk 1

clean

But first do the following. Download Partition Wizard. Run the program. Are both M.2 drives listed? If you see both M.2 disks then click on each disk and select delete all partitions. This will basically put both drives in a clean state.

I also tried cleaning the disk but got this message:

"Virtual Disk Service error:

Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume."

It seems it thinks the OS is running off it, maybe because I did have an install of it beofre but I did clean it.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:16 PM

Okay, select the RAID disks and delete all partitions. That should break the Raid. 

WAIT

I am not sure if your boot manager is on the RAID disks. Are any partitions shown on the RAID disk in Disk Managment?

You can do the following commands to check using diskpart

diskpart

list disk

select disk 1

list partition

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 September 2016 - 06:21 PM.

#9 rhysony

rhysony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:23 PM

Okay, select the RAID disks and delete all partitions. That should break the Raid. 

WAIT

Sorry I don't understand? Select the Raid disks, I can only select one disk which is relevant to it which was under disk 1

Hi John,

So it shows two hard drives:

Disk 0 1863GB (I think this is my HDD which is currently being used to run the OS which is 2TB)
Disk 1 1863GB (These must be the M.2 SSDs configured in RAID as these are single 1TB M.2 SSDs

Thanks

When I tried to clean it in Command Prompt it came up with this message,

"Virtual Disk Service error:

Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume."

it also is blanked out under the Partiton WIzard application for some reason.

Edited by rhysony, 03 September 2016 - 06:24 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

Sorry, I meant disk. Okay. The only way I know of to bypass this windows error is to boot a live linux disk and delete the RAID partition using it. You can either use Gparted Live CD or the bootable version of Partition Wizard here. Partition Wizard is easier to work with. What bothers me is this error indicates you have boot or system files on the disk. I am not sure if deleting the partition on the RAID will affect your 2TB disk. 

Before attempting to delete the RAID partition I would back up any important data on the 2TB drive.

What partitions are listed for Disk 1

diskpart

list disk

select disk 1

list partition

#11 rhysony

rhysony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:46 PM

Sorry, I meant disk. Okay. The only way I know of to bypass this windows error is to boot a live linux disk and delete the RAID partition using it. You can either use Gparted Live CD or the bootable version of Partition Wizard here. Partition Wizard is easier to work with. What bothers me is this error indicates you have boot or system files on the disk. I am not sure if deleting the partition on the RAID will affect your 2TB disk. 

Before attempting to delete the RAID partition I would back up any important data on the 2TB drive.

What partitions are listed for Disk 1

diskpart

list disk

select disk 1

list partition

When I list the partitions for disk 1 it shows:

Partition 1         System             260MB        

Partition 2         Reserved           16MB

Partition 3         Primary          1849GB

Partition 4         Recovery         500MB

Partition 5         Recovery           13GB

Yeah all of it is backed up already so it won't be a problem. So this bootable version or Partition Wizard, do I install it onto a USB?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:49 PM

I think Disk 1 is your 2TB drive and Disk 0 is your RAID.  Those partitions are what a bootable disk with Windows would have.

Do the same commands for Disk 0,

#13 rhysony

rhysony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:52 PM

Yeah I did and it said:

"There are no partitions on this disk to show"

It's strange :/

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:56 PM

Yeah, that is strange. Try the clean command on disk 0. I would think there would be a partition listed though. How was the RAID created on the other computer? 

Edit: There is nothing in the UEFI settings that allow you to break the RAID?

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 September 2016 - 06:57 PM.

#15 rhysony

rhysony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 07:05 PM

Yeah I did and it said:

"There are no partitions on this disk to show"

It's strange :/

I can confirm it is Disk 0 as you said where my Raid is installed I went into Disk Management to check, when I cleaned this in Command Prompt it said:

"DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk"

However their still showing as one drive still.

When I originally did it I installed it onto another laptop and set it up in the BIOS under the advanced tab, the common way of doing it I believe, switched it to SATA and installed the OS. Then I found out that the laptop had other faults so I returned it without formatting the SSDs as I thought I can use them when I get my new laptop.

I tried it on the new one and the BIOS doesn't give me the option for ACHI or SATA so I then had to install in onto my HDD. I think I might have messed it up when I removed one of the SSDs and tried to format each one as a single drive. It didn't work so then I put them both back in but the SSDs work fine I just can't get them seperated.

It's a tricky one :(

Edited by rhysony, 03 September 2016 - 07:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users