Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 task manager shows wrong memory speed... (updated) PLEASE READ

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Alexthepcguy

Alexthepcguy

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:23 PM

Hello! I have a Lenovo Y700 gaming laptop with 8GB of DDR3 RAM. (AMD-FX Edition). I had to create a new user account due to issues I had with my other one. Everything was okay until I looked at Task Manager and realized it displays my memory speed as 800 MHz instead of its actual speed of 1600 MHz! This started to occur ONLY when I made the new account! I was wondering if this is a bug in Windows 10, or if something managed to happen with my memory when I made the new account for whatever reason. If anyone could help, that would be amazing! Thanks! I don't get replies on other forums.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:08 PM

Hi and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer :)

Lets get this straight. When you log into the other account, it shows the memory speed as 1600 MHz? If in both of the accounts it shows 800 MGz, then it might be that you need to enable XMP. More information here: http://www.howtogeek.com/257766/how-to-enable-intel-xmp-to-make-your-ram-run-at-its-advertised-speeds/

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 Alexthepcguy

Alexthepcguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:10 PM

Have you not read my full post? It was reporting it correctly before I made the new account! Now it's wrong. So, is there something wrong with my memory?

#4 Alexthepcguy

Alexthepcguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:19 PM

Hi and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer :)

Lets get this straight. When you log into the other account, it shows the memory speed as 1600 MHz? If in both of the accounts it shows 800 MGz, then it might be that you need to enable XMP. More information here: http://www.howtogeek.com/257766/how-to-enable-intel-xmp-to-make-your-ram-run-at-its-advertised-speeds/

-CKing

Have you not read my full post? It was reporting it correctly before I made the new account! Now it's wrong. So, is there something wrong with my memory? PS: I am using a laptop, so I am not able to enable XMP because my BIOS is limited. Should I just not worry about task manager? (Sorry I send 2 replies)

#5 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:16 PM

Like you said, it could just be a bug. So, if you open Task Manager in the other account, do you still get 800 MHz? Let's get Speccy's take on this:

Collecting Information using Speccy

Download and open Speccy (This is a portable version because the installer bundles unwanted programs)

You will see a spinning circle at the bottom. Wait for it to finish and disappear

eqIYiAB.png

Go to File > Publish Snapshot

A warning will appear of publishing the snapshot, click Yes

Now, a window will come, and click on Copy to Clipboard and paste it into your next reply

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#6 Alexthepcguy

Alexthepcguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:26 PM

I ran Lenovo Solution Center and scanned. Everything passed the test. Does that mean I'm fine?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 September 2016 - 09:43 PM.
deleted unnecessay quote

#7 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:48 PM

The thing about Lenovo Solution Center is that it checks for bad memory. But in this case, it doesn't appear to be bad memory. Rather, it could be running at a lower speed, or Windows 10 is misreporting it. Speccy is great at getting information about the hardware, so could you please run Speccy? If it also reports 800 MHz, then you may have a problem with the memory running at slower speeds

Download and open Speccy (This is a portable version because the installer bundles unwanted programs)

You will see a spinning circle at the bottom. Wait for it to finish and disappear

eqIYiAB.png

Now, a window will come, and click on Copy to Clipboard and paste it into your next reply

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:08 PM

"This started to occur ONLY when I made the new account!" That could be coincidental.

It would be interesting to see what Speccy reports.

You could also check your UEFI BIOS (?) and determine whether or not a dual channel entry is in there.

On your RAM slots, how many are there?

#9 Alexthepcguy

Alexthepcguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:07 PM

The thing about Lenovo Solution Center is that it checks for bad memory. But in this case, it doesn't appear to be bad memory. Rather, it could be running at a lower speed, or Windows 10 is misreporting it. Speccy is great at getting information about the hardware, so could you please run Speccy? If it also reports 800 MHz, then you may have a problem with the memory running at slower speeds

eqIYiAB.png

-CKing
Does this screenshot from Speccy mean its running at the correct speed?

Attached Files

Edited by Alexthepcguy, 09 September 2016 - 08:07 PM.

#10 Alexthepcguy

Alexthepcguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:09 PM

"This started to occur ONLY when I made the new account!" That could be coincidental.
It would be interesting to see what Speccy reports.
You could also check your UEFI BIOS (?) and determine whether or not a dual channel entry is in there.
On your RAM slots, how many are there?

Does this Speccy screenshot mean it's running at the right speed?

Attached Files

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:56 AM

Just to verify: Are you saying Task Manager records 800 MHz where mine shows 1333 MHz?

Attached File  Task Manager Memory Speed.PNG   2.17KB   0 downloads

#12 Alexthepcguy

Alexthepcguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:58 AM

Just to verify: Are you saying Task Manager records 800 MHz where mine shows 1333 MHz?

attachicon.gifTask Manager Memory Speed.PNG

Task manager says 800 MHz when my real speed is 1600 MHz. When I go to Speccy it says this. Does that mean my RAM is running at the right speed?

Attached Files

#13 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:19 PM

It seems that your RAM is running at the slower speeds. I am suspecting it could be in hardware as well, so lets have the experts at Internal Hardware look at this. Could you post a new topic in Internal Hardware?

Github | Keybase

#14 Alexthepcguy

Alexthepcguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:26 PM

It seems that your RAM is running at the slower speeds. I am suspecting it could be in hardware as well, so lets have the experts at Internal Hardware look at this. Could you post a new topic in Internal Hardware?

It's not. With Speccy you have to multiply by 2 with whatever speed you get. So 800×2 = 1600 I am closing this thread.

#15 Alexthepcguy

Alexthepcguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:30 PM

Please don't reply anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users