Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dualboot Ubuntu OOM/Windows Hang after partition

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JusTLC

JusTLC

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:13 PM

Here's what happened...

I made a dual boot system with Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 7 (with a GRUB boot loader) on my 1 TB HDD allocating about <100 GB (including all proper partitions) to Ubuntu and 200 GB to Windows (since I read that it's better to install the OS to a smaller partition) leaving the ~700 GB of unallocated space, thinking I could partition it later since I was busy at the time.

The system ran perfectly fine until I decided to partition all of the unallocated space using Disk Management on Windows 7 (probably not the greatest idea ever). It took some time, so I went on to do other stuff. Next time I checked, I saw an "endless" stream of command lines such as:

[     39.353475] Out of memory: Kill process 684 (systemd-udevd) score 119 or sacrifice child

[     39.353549] Killed process 684 (systemd-udevd) total-vm:520776kB, anon-rss:494072kB, file-rss:2560 kB

until a blank screen appears.

After restarting the computer, I tried booting Windows and it hangs on the "Starting Windows" screen. Trying to boot Ubuntu results in the same "Out of memory...." failure.

Safe mode with networking doesn't load either, gets stuck on "CLASSPNP.sys"

After this, I've tried connecting the HDD to an another computer with Windows 7 (since I only need the files). Strangely, whenever the HDD is connected to the other computer, the Windows 7 from the other HDD also hangs on the "Starting Windows" screen. After disconnecting the HDD, other computer Windows 7 loads perfectly. I'm absolutely sure that the first boot device selected in BIOS was from the healthy computer.

Only thing I need is to backup the data stored, I don't think I'll mess with any dual boot systems for a while after this. :D

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:06 AM

Try booting to a bootable OS (such as the Ultimate Boot CD or a Live Linux distribution) and see if you can see/copy from the disk there.

If not, then start by running these free, bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

Start with the hard drive diagnostics.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 JusTLC

JusTLC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for the response.

UBCD boots fine, at first ran HDAT2 v5.0 to scan for bad sectors, none were found, so I went on to view the partitions, SPFDISK 2000-03v launched well (excluding the "idle: going resident fdapm adv:max" hang, didn't install fdapm afterwards, launched fine).

In the SPFDISK opened "Partition tools" and instantly got an error: "Partitions beyond 99 will be cut off", and then another one: "Partition area found overlap!"

In the partition window, I found recognizable partitions (I'll attach a photo). Basically, the No. 2 is the Windows OS partition, No. 3 is Ubuntu, although I don't think that's where the boot files are, No. 4 is the partition I created with the Disk Management tool, and from 5-99 are... I don't know what that is...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think my Windows partitions were written on the top and that's bad...

Won't be touching anything else, waiting for a reply.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:53 AM

This is so far beyond my abilities that I can't even suggest where to start fixing it.  My only suggestion would be to wipe and start over (probably not what you wanted to hear).

I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums (and maybe the appropriate Windows and Linux forums) to find an expert who can handle this partitioning scheme.

Linux users are probably more familiar with this than just plain Windows users - so I'd think that the Linux forums are the best bet.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 JusTLC

JusTLC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:45 AM

Ok, thanks!

#6 JusTLC

JusTLC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

Just a quick update - booted ubuntu live cd (via dad advice), luckily, the partition my files were in is readable, everything's OK! :)

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:50 AM

That's good news!  Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users