Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade or build new?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:02 PM

Current System

Summary
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
Intel Xeon X3220 @ 2.40GHz 46 °C
Kentsfield 65nm Technology

RAM
6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz (7-7-7-20)

Motherboard
Intel Corporation DP43BF (XU1)

Graphics
VA2431 Series (1920x1080@60Hz)
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 (NVIDIA) 35 °C

Storage
232GB Hitachi HTS725025A9A364 ATA Device (SATA) 30 °C
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000BEVT-60A0RT0 ATA Device (SATA) 29 °C

Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected

Audio
High Definition Audio Device

PSU
EVGA 750w 80plus Gold Certified

I am curious is an SSD and a GTX 1060 is a good path or will my older system limit the graphic performance of a modern card?

I do a lot of refurbishing of older systems but I have not built or upgraded a gaming computer in sometime and would like some advice.

I Love Lamp!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:08 PM

SSD is OK but GTX 1060 bit overkill. I recommend RX 460 instead.

#3 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:14 PM

SSD is OK but GTX 1060 bit overkill. I recommend RX 460 instead.

Why do you believe the 1060 to be overkill?

It is a good price point and offers good performance for modern games.

I Love Lamp!

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

Because CPU is quite weak, I see no reason to invest that much for GPU.

Also GTX 1060 has much poorer DX12/Vulkan support than AMD RX series have.

#5 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:48 PM

Because CPU is quite weak, I see no reason to invest that much for GPU.

Also GTX 1060 has much poorer DX12/Vulkan support than AMD RX series have.

Thank you for the clarification. 

One question in comparison to a more modern CPU how weak is mine would I gain considerable performance with a complete rebuild vs the ssd gpu upgrade path? Is my CPU very limiting in this regard? 

I Love Lamp!

#6 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:01 PM

I should note that my goal is to have a PC that will last another 3 or 4 years for minimum cost for performance and still play most steam games. I currently can not play no mans sky or space engineers. However games like Prison Architect, Sims 3, War Thunder, Rift, Rimworld, Banished, World of Tanks, and Kerbal Space Program run well but on medium to low settings. I would like to be able to run these games on high settings and have some room to grow for future games. My motherboard supports upto 8GB of memory and DDR3 1066 is still plenty fast enough I do believe. - Thoughts? Opinions? Rants?

I Love Lamp!

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:09 PM

CPU is not awfully limiting but I see no reason to invest heavily on GPU when CPU is not modern. You would need quite lot money to make that build modern. As that CPU is quad core (although slow one), I recommend quite big upgrade to make it worth. Current CPU prices are so high that you should wait if AMD Zen makes something for them.

To be honest, even RX 460 is so much faster than GT 430 that difference is easily noticeable. With cheap SSD (again, no SATA 3 support means no reason to invest heavily) that system will be Much Faster.

There might be some problem with video card, as PCI Express 3.0 cards generally want UEFI support. That board has EFI support (UEFI is successor of EFI) and it should be enough. Not exactly sure about that though.

I should note that my goal is to have a PC that will last another 3 or 4 years for minimum cost for performance and still play most steam games. I currently can not play no mans sky or space engineers. However games like Prison Architect, Sims 3, War Thunder, Rift, Rimworld, Banished, World of Tanks, and Kerbal Space Program run well but on medium to low settings. I would like to be able to run these games on high settings and have some room to grow for future games. My motherboard supports upto 8GB of memory and DDR3 1066 is still plenty fast enough I do believe. - Thoughts? Opinions? Rants?

If RX 460 works, it should be enough for games like that. DDR3 1066 is still quite OK memory yes.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 03 September 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#8 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:15 PM

CPU is not awfully limiting but I see no reason to invest heavily on GPU when CPU is not modern. You would need quite lot money to make that build modern. As that CPU is quad core (although slow one), I recommend quite big upgrade to make it worth. Current CPU prices are so high that you should wait if AMD Zen makes something for them.

To be honest, even RX 460 is so much faster than GT 430 that difference is easily noticeable. With cheap SSD (again, no SATA 3 support means no reason to invest heavily) that system will be Much Faster.

There might be some problem with video card, as PCI Express 3.0 cards generally want UEFI support. That board has EFI support (UEFI is successor of EFI) and it should be enough. Not exactly sure about that though.

If RX 460 works, it should be enough for games like that. DDR3 1066 is still quite OK memory yes.

These were my thoughts as well, I was thinking a 256GB SSD and a 750 Ti or the RX 460 --- I did put a loaner GT 730 in it about 3 months ago and the difference was amazing for gaming. So, I do feel that the 750 ti or the RX 460 would be huge jump in usability. I do agree the 1060 would be a little over kill after reading through the comments.

I Love Lamp!

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:19 PM

If you really need 256GB SSD, then it's OK. Otherwise I would buy just 120GB cheap one and save money for bigger upgrade.

RX 460 is better choice than 750 Ti IMO. But both are much faster than GT 430, difference is that kind, "amazing" or something.

#10 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

Also, I thought I might add the system I am considering building.

These are the parts I need to build a new system. These parts would bring my system into the modern era, minus HDD/SSD, PSU, and RAM as I already have compatible and working parts.

1. ASRock H97M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

2. Intel Core i5-4430 Haswell Quad-Core 3.0 GHz LGA 1150 84W BX80646I54430 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600

3. EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 

Total Cost to build new - $500

Total Cost to upgrade using an RX 460 and 256GB SSD - $200

Either way I can't really go wrong, upgrading gives me parts I would use if my mobo or cpu happened to crash so I am not losing anything.

Edited by pistol22cal, 03 September 2016 - 01:45 PM.

I Love Lamp!

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:03 PM

If you ask me, i5-4430 is way too small upgrade from current one.

Also motherboard is quite basic one, missing M.2 connector. It's good to remind that Socket 1150 is already EOL and will suffer same fate as LGA1155 and LGA1156: no good motherboards available.

So I recommend RX 460 and 256GB SSD and saving money for bigger upgrade with DDR4 etc.

#12 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:12 PM

If you ask me, i5-4430 is way too small upgrade from current one.

Also motherboard is quite basic one, missing M.2 connector. It's good to remind that Socket 1150 is already EOL and will suffer same fate as LGA1155 and LGA1156: no good motherboards available.

So I recommend RX 460 and 256GB SSD and saving money for bigger upgrade with DDR4 etc.

Alrighty I believe that is a good path as well! Thanks for everyones help really food for thought. Things are not as easy as they where back in the early 2000's........There are just so many options.

I Love Lamp!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users