Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 hanging up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 justmytype0

justmytype0

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:49 AM

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series

Hi, this morning went to boot up Dell laptop it showed the Dell logo and then the circle thing that it normally shows as it's booting up.  But it never went past that and just continued trying to start up, even after an hour. Called Dell support because the hardware is still under warranty (laptop bought in Dec 2015).  They proceeded to have me boot up and press F12 to run diagnostics on hardware which came out okay.  Had me restart and it then started without a problem.  They had me look at Event Viewer and there are over 18,000 items in Administrative Events with errors and warnings which they wanted to "fix" for $200, saying it might be infected.  I declined but not sure what caused this hanging up issue.  Laptop seems to be working...for now.  I've run malwarebytes and it found 2 files which were quarantined.  Ran quick antivirus scan and it found nothing. Currently running full system scan.  Any ideas?  Do I need to fix this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by justmytype0, 03 September 2016 - 09:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:01 AM

• How old your computer is and whether it is factory OEM Windows 10, already preinstalled?
  • What version? (Winkey + R => winver => OK or Enter)
  • Event Viewer and there are over 18,000 items in Administrative Events with errors - Windows 10 Event Logs are all similar, because this system still not work.

#3 justmytype0

justmytype0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:08 AM

Computer is less than a year old.  

Windows 10 version 1607.  Factory installed.

#4 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:20 AM

I think that, first of all is needed to see if the thing is repeated in near future. One time is not enough to start making any big decisions. Maybe it was a coincidence.
Perhaps only that, what programs you use to clean junk and registry and control the viruses.

#5 justmytype0

justmytype0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:23 AM

Yeah, I hope it was a one-time thing.  I haven't really used anything to clean junk and registry.  Do use Avast antivirus and also ran Malwarebytes this morning (found 2 files and quarantined).  Like I said, I'm running an Avast full system scan now (67% finished and hasn't found anything yet).

#6 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:35 AM

Use at least CCleaner, it is completely safe and free.
Homepage - http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
Installer - http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standardPortable versision -  http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/portable

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 September 2016 - 07:15 PM.
deleted direct download link. Such links are not allowed.

#7 justmytype0

justmytype0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:37 AM

Thank you!

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:01 PM

CCleaner does have a registry cleaner option. It is suggested that you not use it.

From HERE-post by quietman7 regarding registry cleaners

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

:step1: Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

:step2: Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work. Further, some vendors who offer registry cleaners use deceptive advertisements and claims which are borderline scams. They may alert you to finding thousands of registry errors which can only be fixed and improve performance if you use their product.

:step3: Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

:step4: Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

:step5: The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities

...Windows continually references the registry in the background and it is not designed to be accessed or edited. Some products such as registry cleaning utilities suggest that the registry needs regular maintenance or cleaning. However, serious issues can occur when you modify the registry incorrectly using these types of utilities. These issues might require users to reinstall the operating system due to instability. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved without a reinstallation of the Operating System as the extent of the changes made by registry cleaning utilities varies from application to application...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners...

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a specific registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly is dangerous and could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great. The major source of orphaned registry entries is poorly uninstalled programs so using a good uninstaller program is a much better way to keep the registry clean.

#9 justmytype0

justmytype0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:30 PM

Thank you so much for the above information.  I hadn't done any "clean up."  I'll leave it alone.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:11 PM

FYI, CCleaner is a good program and is a regular recommendation by many here. The other functions are very safe to use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users