Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a computer for my brother.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:54 AM

Hi guys! I'm gonna be building a gaming computer for my brother but its getting a bit expensive for my liking. Id like you guys to help me out to possibly cut some expenses and anwser my questions.

List:

Case                    COOLERMASTER ELITE 311 BLUE CASE

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-6600K (3.5GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs, RGB Lighting
Memory (RAM)
16GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 480 - HDMI, 3 x DP - DX® 12
1st Hard Disk
1TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 32MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster Hyper 212X (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler (£29)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£89)
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Google Chrome™
Monitor
Samsung LS22D300HY/XU 22" Monitor (£88)
Keyboard & Mouse
PCS S300 USB MEDIA KEYBOARD (£5)
Mouse
LOGITECH® OPTICAL USB MOUSE (£5)
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days

This build came to around £1100.

Id like to cut it to around 900- ish if possible.

First of all - the processor, he will be wanting to play new games on the highest settings, will he need an I5 6600K or will an I5 6500 work for him?

Motherboard - If he does need an I5 6600K, is this the cheapest/best motherboard for him to be able to overclock on.

Cooler - If he is overclocking, would the CoolerMaster Hyper 212X be sufficient cooling?

I'm open to suggestions, if you'd like to change anything in the list, just suggest what and why and ill keep an open mind about changes.

Any feedback is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:51 AM

Have your brother add to his collection routine full image backups of his soon-to-be OS and data partitions onto trusted external media, whether usb sticks or better yet external HD.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:54 AM

Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£89)

For that price, Windows 10 is only option.

First of all - the processor, he will be wanting to play new games on the highest settings, will he need an I5 6600K or will an I5 6500 work for him?

Motherboard - If he does need an I5 6600K, is this the cheapest/best motherboard for him to be able to overclock on.

Cooler - If he is overclocking, would the CoolerMaster Hyper 212X be sufficient cooling?

I'm open to suggestions, if you'd like to change anything in the list, just suggest what and why and ill keep an open mind about changes.

Any feedback is appreciated.

6500 will work also.

Motherboard seems to be very expensive, cheaper ones are also OK for overclocking.

i5-6500 is enough.

Cooler is enough.

I also suggest better PSU.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 03 September 2016 - 10:54 AM.

#4 Voidz

Voidz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:08 PM

Thank you for your advice Drilling machine, i've made changes and got it down to £1k im happy with that. Also, I notice that you're using an 8320- how does this serve you? Do you suggest I get (for myself, not my brother) an 8350? I'm upgrading from an AMD x4 860k and will I have to get a different motherboard? Im pretty sure I do but just making sure :P

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:53 PM

What changes?

Considering price, FX-8320 is excellent CPU for using virtual machines while same time doing something else.

But upgrading from X4 860K? Unless you really need more cores, I see not much reason for that as you will need new motherboard also. And if you need more cores than 4, it's good idea to see what Zen has to offer. I plan upgrade to Zen as I have use for 16 threads.

#6 Voidz

Voidz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:09 PM

Changed to I5 6500, changed to a cheaper motherboard and changed monitor to one that is a lower price.

I'm willing to buy the motherboard aswell, i've found a bundle that sells the 8350 + motherboard for £200, which i'll happily pay. I'm planning on getting multiple virtual machines for educational purposes aswell as a general improvement in performance. Also, if I changed my CPU at all, im pretty sure id have to buy a new motherboard anyway wouldn't i?

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:16 PM

Changes sounds fine, how about PSU?

For that kind of use you cannot find better for £200. FX-8320 has excellent bang for buck for running virtual machines. You would need to change motherboard if changing CPU to something better, yes.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 03 September 2016 - 01:17 PM.

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:03 PM

Changes sounds fine, how about PSU?For that kind of use you cannot find better for £200. FX-8320 has excellent bang for buck for running virtual machines. You would need to change motherboard if changing CPU to something better, yes.

The i5 has better single threaded performance, which is preferable in games. FX 8350 runs hotter, has ancient 32nm process, uses old ddr3, is bad choice for gaming at your budget IMO.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:49 AM

Changes sounds fine, how about PSU?For that kind of use you cannot find better for £200. FX-8320 has excellent bang for buck for running virtual machines. You would need to change motherboard if changing CPU to something better, yes.

The i5 has better single threaded performance, which is preferable in games. FX 8350 runs hotter, has ancient 32nm process, uses old ddr3, is bad choice for gaming at your budget IMO.

Question was about two machines. Still:

You can say 32nm SOI process is ancient but until last summer there was no problem to recommend GPU's made with 28nm bulk process. That was much more ancient than 32nm SOI.

Speed difference between DDR3 and DDR4 is negligible.

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:29 AM

FWIW here is a list of the sort of thing I'd look at for around a grand. 

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer i32 CPU Cooler  (£28.11 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-K ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£108.24 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£74.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£64.58 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 4GB NITRO+ 4G Video Card  (£198.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£39.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£50.51 @ CCL Computers) 
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer  (£12.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Monitor: LG 24MP48HQ-P 23.8" 60Hz Monitor  (£113.36 @ More Computers) 
Other: Windows 10 Pro OEM Download (£21.99)
Total: £992.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-04 16:00 BST+0100

The CPU is expensive and only has four cores.  Yes it is expensive (blame lack of competition and poor $/£ FX rates) but it has excellent per core performance, and can be overclocked. The non overclockable i5-6500 would shave about £30 off the price.  If no intention to overclock you could save a little by going for a H170 motherboard.

The GPU only has 4Gb.  Should be enough. If you want the 8Gb version you can get one for about an extra £30.

Arctic i32? Close performance to far more expensive coolers.  Should be fine for casual OC'ing.

Edited by jonuk76, 04 September 2016 - 11:34 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users