Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick Windows Defender Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyNightrain

JohnnyNightrain

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:53 AM

I am very new to Windows 10, but it's pretty easy to pick up. However, I can't figure one thing out... unlike Security Essentials from Windows 7, I'm not sure if Defender is running when I startup my computer. I have real-time protection turned on, but it seems like I have to launch it every time I start. Previously, Security Essentials would just show up in the System Tray showing the PC as being "protected." That doesn't seem to be the case now.

Unrelated, is there any way to boot right to the login screen (not the desktop) an bypass that picture with the date and time?

Anyway, I know I'm late to the party, but I like Windows 10 so far.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 September 2016 - 11:06 AM.
moved from Windows 10 Support to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:08 AM

You can type Defender into the search box (next to the Start button) and hit Enter.  That will bring up a status window showing whether Defender is active and up to date.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,305 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:09 AM

Johnny,

I know of no way to bypass the "splash" screen.  What version (run the winver command - just hit the Windows key, type that, and hit enter) of Windows 10 are you running?  Prior to the Anniversary Update (1607) I have no memory of Windows Defender placing an icon in the system tray at all.  After the Anniversary Update it does, but it will be in the overflow area unless you specifically set it to always show.  Since I know it's running I just keep it in the overflow area.   I still get occasional messages in the Action Center telling me that Windows Defender needs to scan my system.  I have tried a number of things to try to get rid of those but have had no luck and have just started to kick off a quick scan manually any time I happen to have one show up.

Edited by britechguy, 03 September 2016 - 10:10 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 JohnnyNightrain

JohnnyNightrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:50 AM

Johnny,

I know of no way to bypass the "splash" screen.  What version (run the winver command - just hit the Windows key, type that, and hit enter) of Windows 10 are you running?  Prior to the Anniversary Update (1607) I have no memory of Windows Defender placing an icon in the system tray at all.  After the Anniversary Update it does, but it will be in the overflow area unless you specifically set it to always show.  Since I know it's running I just keep it in the overflow area.   I still get occasional messages in the Action Center telling me that Windows Defender needs to scan my system.  I have tried a number of things to try to get rid of those but have had no luck and have just started to kick off a quick scan manually any time I happen to have one show up.

It's version 1511 (OS Build 10586.122).

Defender puts the icon in the system tray, but only after I run it. My issue is: Do I have to manually launch Defender every time I start my computer? Or... is it already running, but I just don't see it?

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 11:12 AM

Johnny,

It's version 1511 (OS Build 10586.122).

Defender puts the icon in the system tray, but only after I run it. My issue is: Do I have to manually launch Defender every time I start my computer? Or... is it already running, but I just don't see it?

See answer #2.  That will answer your question because it shows whether it's already running or not.  If you don't have another antivirus program, Defender activates, if you do, it will not, but if you do as suggested in #2, you will see for yourself.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 reldel

reldel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:04 PM

To place Defender icon in task bar area, right click the task bar, on context box that pops up click settings, scroll down settings box to notification area, select icons that appear on the task bar, then select Windows Defender notification icon and turn it on.  Now Defender icon will show in task bar notification area.  Hope that helps.

#7 JohnnyNightrain

JohnnyNightrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:45 AM

None of this is really answering my question, though, which is "Does Windows Defender launch automatically at startup or do I need to manually turn it on every time?"

When I start my computer and open the task manager, Defender in not listed in any category. When I manually open Defender, which I have pinned to my start menu, it opens and immediately says my computer is protected, implying it's already been running because it doesn't seem to have to start up/scan, etc.

Also, when I manually open Defender it then appears in my system tray displaying "protected" status and it also appears in task manager, as Windows Defender User Interface, but I'm not sure the interface is actually the program... maybe it is.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,928 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:00 PM

Does Windows Defender autorun on startup in Windows 10
How do I make Windows Defender start automatically in Windows 10?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:44 PM

None of this is really answering my question, though, which is "Does Windows Defender launch automatically at startup or do I need to manually turn it on every time?"

Yes, it starts always automatically and runs background in this old Windows 10 version. Icon is visible only if something is wrong or is recommended to scan.
If You'll update Your Windows to current version, ie 1607 (14393.105), it will be visisble always.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users