Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disassembled laptop, now it doesn't get power

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hopscotch88

Hopscotch88

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 07:12 AM

Hi there.

I have an old laptop (2008 Toshiba Satellite A300D) that was overheating a lot, so yesterday I opened it up and cleaned the fan. I put it back together and it worked fine.

Today I can't start it because it's not getting power from the charger -- I can get the leds on for a second if I move the connector around but they won't stay on. I opened it up again. When I connect the charger, an orange light starts blinking in the motherboard; sometimes it blinks for a couple times and then the green power led comes on, but when I disconnect the charger and try again it's back to the blinking orange light. Can someone help me fix it?

Thank you very much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hopscotch88

Hopscotch88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:21 AM

I just realized something: if the battery's in when I plug the charger, the power and battery leds light up for a second and then turn off. Without the battery, the power led lights up and stays on but if I press the power button it shuts down immediately.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:03 PM

In the connector for the adapter and on the PCB it is mounted to, there is an intermittent connection.  The plug gets jammed most often, breaking things loose.  The connector may also have a small switch inside to sense when the adapter is plugged in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users