Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updates To Xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 klink1956

klink1956

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:42 AM

Hi all,
A friend recently had his hard drive go south on him
we put in a new one and discovered he has no software to re-install his o/s.
yesterday he bought xp pro.
he is stuck with dial-up
My question is can I download his security updates burn them to a disk and intall them on his machine?

thanks
bob
Where ever you go.................. There you are

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:13 AM

Did his XP Pro come with SP2?
If so, the downloads for subsequent updates are much smaller.

If he bought a version with SP1 or no updates at all, he can order a cd from Microsoft for which they will only charge a small shipping charge - the cd itself is free.

When you go to Windows Updates to download updates I don't think you can get a chance just to save them to burn to a cd, at least I never tried it.
It would be worth a try, or possibly the following site may give you that ability:
Updates for any MS operating system

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog

How to download updates and drivers from the Windows Update Catalog," http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323166

Use Software Update Services
IT Professionals can use both Windows Update and the Automatic Updates service to configure a server on their corporate network to provide these updates to corporate servers and clients. This functionality can be useful in environments where some clients and servers do not have access to the Internet, or where the environment is highly managed and the corporate administrator must test the updates before they are deployed. For information about Software Update Services, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversyst...us/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/default.mspx)

I would think that you should be able to use the above method.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:34 AM

You can download and burn to disk all MS product updates, Service Packs and security patches from here, including Office products, WMP, Defender, etc.
Beware IE6 update KB918889 (Aug 2006).
MS is re-releasing it Aug 22 due to it causing crashes with certain sites. Might want to hold up and wait on that one.
See the "caveats" paragraph in this article.

#4 klink1956

klink1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:13 AM

Thanks, Enthusiast and HitSquad for the responses, I'll give your suggestions a try. Yes he does have s/p 2
and I've got ie 6 s/p 1 on cd (if we need it).
The d/l with the dial up would not bother him but he has an ill relative out of state and needs to keep the line open.
If all else fails we will bring his box over here and do the updates.(an idea that just occurred to me!...duh)

thanks again

bob
Where ever you go.................. There you are

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users