Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Doesn't Recognize New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 court0844

court0844

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:10 PM

I received a new hard drive but when I put it in, you can hear it spinning quickly, slows down, then speeds back up.  The hard drive activity light on the computer is a solid green color but never flickers and the computer doesn't seem to realize it's installed.  This is a Dell Latitude d600 laptop.

How can I test to see if this hard drive is working?  I tried using SeaTools for DOS to check it, but since the computer doesn't recognize the drive, I can't check it with that.

Thank you for your help with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:47 AM

Is the drive formatted?

Are you saying that the hard drive is properly attached and is not reflected in the BIOS?

Louis

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 11:33 AM

+1 Check the drive in BIOS. Press F2 repeatedly as soon as you see the Dell screen.

Also what model drive did you install? I think d600 has IDE up to 120GB. 

Last, check that the jumpers are set the same way as the old drive.

Edited by Trikein, 03 September 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#4 court0844

court0844
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:28 PM

the hard drive is a Toshiba 6007mb drive with no jumpers, the laptop jumps it for me. I would also format the drive, but when( even windows can't see it's installed) it boots to the BIOS screen it says that there none installed

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:39 PM

"the hard drive is a Toshiba 6007mb "

Do you mean Toshiba MK6014MAP? If so, are you installing it into the laptop as the only drive? Where in BIOS are you looking. If it is the master drive and not being seen anywhere in BIOS, then it is possible the hard-drive is defective. I don't think they make 6GB HDD anymore, so it is likely it is refurbished. Do you have another computer to test it in?

#6 court0844

court0844
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:15 PM

I'm looking in the right spot, and no i don't have a second laptop to test it on, any drive tester can't detect it, it is possible that the drive defected. could it be the needle?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users