Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Transfer To External Hard Drive Enclosure Fails

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 KellyB56

KellyB56

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:45 PM

SPECS

Windows 10 x64 1511 and up to date

Rosewill USB 3/eSATA external hard drive enclosure ... new

2Tb Western Digital Black mounted in the enclosure ... new

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ... new

i7-6700K

PROBLEM

Can not copy files to the HDD mounted in the enclosure.

HOW THE PROBLEM PRESENTS

*USB 3: The enclosure is detected by Windows as a SCSI drive. When file transfer starts ... a few files will be copied to the enclosure ... but then it hangs ... and then Windows is no longer able to detect it. During the file transfer the HDD activity light on the enclosure flashes on and off ... when file transfer hangs the HDD activity light stops flashing and remains lit.

*USB 2: The enclosure is not detected at all by Windows.

*eSATA: Same behavior as USB 3

WHAT I'VE TRIED

I have verified the HDD is good.

I can mount the HDD in a USB 2 enclosure and transfer files just fine.

Have tried all USB ports with the same results.

Have disabled USB Selective Suspend ... (I use the High Performance Power Plan)

Have unticked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for all USB controllers

No little yellow triangles in Device Manager

Have tried 2 of the USB 3/eSATA enclosures ... both new ...

Contacted Rosewill tech support ... no help there ...

WHAT NEXT?

Beats me ... since it's happened with 2 new enclosures my hunch is that it's a configuration problem ... but for the life of me I dunno what to check next.

If anybody can help I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks!

KenB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:23 PM

If this is your enclosure it looks like the firmware was updated Aug 19th to disable the power saving function. See the manuals here. I don't understand why a USB 2 port did not detect the drive as USB 3 is supposed to be backward compatible.

Have tried 2 of the USB 3/eSATA enclosures ... both new .  -  Was these 2 both Rosewill and the same model?  Was the same USB cable used for both drivers. Have you tried a different USB cable?  Have you tried another USB 3 device on the computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 September 2016 - 05:25 PM.

#3 whirlpool0548

whirlpool0548

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

Was this issue ever resolved ?

Is there a configuration setting which works ?

I have exactly the same symptoms with a brand new Akitio Neutrino U3+ FW800 2.5" enclosure + brand new Seagate drive on the USB3 port(s) of a fairly recent HP Envy laptop running Windows 10.

I RMAd one enclosure because I thought it was faulty, but the replacement behaves exactly the same way.

Odd thing is, this enclosure works perfectly on my desktop.

Also, I have another 3 of these Akitio enclosures (2 the slightly older model, 1 which looks identical to the new enclosure) which work perfectly on the laptop, with the new drive.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,658 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:36 AM

Are other USB 3 devices detected on the HP? It's possible the HP is not providing enough power to the USB ports to spin up the drive. Try a powered USB 3 Hub. Barring that you can try the following. I am assuming you have tried all USB ports including the USB 2 ports on the computer.

Disable USB Selective Suspend

Is the desktop running Windows 10? Sometimes drivers already installed can conflict if you have previously attached USB devices. When you attach the external is it listed in Device Manager under drives? If so then right click and uninstall. Detach the drive. Reboot. Attach the drive and see if it is detected. 

If that does not work then download devicecleanupcmd. Unzip the folder to the desktop and rename it clean. Open an elevated command prompt. In Windows 10 press the Windows key + X. cmd > as admin.

Change the directory to the folder on the desktop using the dos commands. 

cd c:\users\<your name>\desktop\clean

Now type

devicecleanupcmd *

This will remove all non-present devices on the computer. If your printer is USB then turn it on before running the command. Reboot and attach the external. 

Last option is to see if HP has an updated USB 3 driver for the computer? In Device Manager right click the USB 3 controller. It may be intel or ASmedia. Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and post the first line. 

#5 whirlpool0548

whirlpool0548

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. Are other USB 3 devices detected on the HP ? - Yes, the 3 other Akitio enclosures work fine (and all my other 4 USB enclosures also work)

2. There is a PSU for this enclosure, tried it makes no difference. I have a powered hub will try it, but doubt it will be better than the dedicated PSU

3. Disable selective suspend - Already tried it, makes no difference.

4. Haven't tried removing 'ghost' USB devices, will try that.

5. There is no manufacturer specific USB3 driver for this enclosure. Actually it's a UASP enclosure, but there's no manufacturer specific UASP driver either. It's the standard Windows 10 UASP driver.

Also tried installing the chipset driver for this laptop from HP's site. Made no difference.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,658 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:57 PM

I thought I edited my post on the command for the clean up. There is an additional folder x64 that needs to be part of the command.

cd c:\users\<your name>\desktop\clean\x64

If the cleanup does not work then I think it's your enclosure but it seems strange you would get two bad ones.

#7 whirlpool0548

whirlpool0548

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:13 PM

OK, will let you know the outcome.

It's not the enclosure. It works fine in my desktop machine (so did the one I RMAd). Also it's not the laptop USB3 ports (it only has USB3 ports) since other enclosures which have always worked in the past are still working.

The issue has precisely the same symptoms as originally reported, right down to this:

... and then Windows is no longer able to detect it. During the file transfer the HDD activity light on the enclosure flashes on and off ... when file transfer hangs the HDD activity light stops flashing and remains lit.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,658 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:33 PM

Then the only thing left would be Windows 10. You could boot a live linux disk like Mint Cinnamon. Attach the drive and see if it is detected. 

Outside of that the only other things to try would be

sfc /scannow and the DISM command

I noticed your first post you said you are at build 1511. Windows is now at 1607 and the creators update is being released. 

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/configurationmgr/2016/11/03/support-for-version-1511-of-the-current-branch-of-microsoft-system-center-configuration-manager-ending-soon/

Edit: Did you run the device cleaner yet?

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 April 2017 - 02:34 PM.

#9 whirlpool0548

whirlpool0548

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

The first poster who reported the issue was at build 1511 and was using an entirely different enclosure. (3/9/2016 - Rosewill USB 3/eSATA external hard drive enclosure)

sfc /scannow and the DISM command.  - I am an experienced software developer (ex HP employee), so the health of the build was the first thing I checked. 

I am on build 1607, so that suggests to me that it's not a Windows 10 issue, or if it was an issue with 1511, then none of the intervening updates (including the Anniversary update) have fixed it.

If it was a Windows 10 issue, my desktop machine (bulld 1607) would exhibit the same symptoms with the problem Akitio enclosure, but it works OK on that machine.

Will run device cleaner tomorrow.

Edited by whirlpool0548, 07 April 2017 - 05:08 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,658 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

The first poster who reported the issue was at build 1511 and was using an entirely different enclosure. (3/9/2016 - Rosewill USB 3/eSATA external hard drive enclosure)

Sorry, count me dumb on that one.

If the cleaner does not solve the problem then boot a live linux disk and connect the external. See if it connects. Mint Cinnamon is a good distro for this. At least this would rule out a USB 3 hardware issue.

https://linuxmint.com/

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:04 PM

Might be the bios and needs updated, or usb bios setting not set to high speed.

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:06 PM

Oh and have a read you're not alone with this ongoing issue....http://www.thewindowsclub.com/usb-3-0-external-hard-drive-not-recognized

Edit: Try some of the solutions others have tried. Uninstall Reinstall the usb controller. Also, follow steps there to disable usb suspending.

Edited by technonymous, 07 April 2017 - 07:12 PM.

#13 KellyB56

KellyB56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:22 PM

I'm the OP ... still not working for me 7 months later.

Now using Win10 x64 1607 build 14393.969 ... everything is up to date ... drivers too.

Can use my external USB 3 enclosure (from a USB 3 port) at USB 2 speeds using a USB 2 cable. Can use eSATA just fine.

USB 3 totally fails ... loads 1 or 2 tiny files then drops the connection.

USB Device Tree View spits out 2 errors ...

1. "43 Unknown USB Device (set address failed) Port 20"

2. For String Descriptor 3, 7, 8, 9, 11 ... "°" "*!* ERROR contains 1 NULL character"

Have done ...

Updated W10

Updated USB drivers

Disabled selective suspend and fast boot

Tried all USB 3 ports

I use the High Power plan

Have unticked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for all USB controllers

Tried 2 new USB external enclosures

USB 3 sticks work fine

Bios has no USB port settings that would apply

The enclosure uses a separate power supply ... so power through USB shouldn't be an issue

Beats me what to do next.

KenB

Edited by KellyB56, 08 April 2017 - 04:49 AM.

#14 whirlpool0548

whirlpool0548

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:03 AM

Ran devicecleanup as suggested by JohnC_21

Rebooted, powered up the problem Akitio enclosure saw that the device was detected and installed.

Initiated a ~4.7GB folder to the Akitio enclosure, a few files were copied, speed dropped to 12mb/sec and copying froze.

..... when file transfer hangs the HDD activity light stops flashing and remains lit.

So, no progress.

I can confirm that I have also tried the steps carried out by KellyB56 (above).

One question for KellyB56 - Does your enclosure use the Asmedia chipset ? (Disk device shows up as ASMT2105)

No progress. I am currently resigned to not using this enclosure with the laptop (It works fine on my desktop machine).

#15 KellyB56

KellyB56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:28 AM

One question for KellyB56 - Does your enclosure use the Asmedia chipset ? (Disk device shows up as ASMT2105)

Not sure ... I'm running it now as eSATA and as far as I know there's no way I can identify the chip unless I tear into the thing.

KenB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users