Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

US goverment to hand over control of the Internet to UN

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:29 PM

The Commerce Department is going to hand allow transfer oversight of the internet gatekeeping functions from the US to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers this October. And many are concerned this negatively affect freedom speech of online.

http://www.worldtribune.com/obama-to-hand-over-control-of-the-internet-created-by-the-u-s-military-on-oct-1/

Edited by SuperSapien64, 02 September 2016 - 09:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:58 PM

Here is a article that falls a little more to the left. 

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3106874/internet/iana-successor-organization-set-up-amid-internet-handover-controversy.html

#3 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 818 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:01 PM

Thanks Trikein it kind of difficult to find articles about this. I'm still concerned about this though. :(

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:48 AM

Shouldn't putting it in the hands of the UN rather than a government INCREASE freedom of speech? generally the UN as an organisation are against censorship and very much for freedom of speech, more so than any national government I can think of.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 818 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:23 PM

Shouldn't putting it in the hands of the UN rather than a government INCREASE freedom of speech? generally the UN as an organisation are against censorship and very much for freedom of speech, more so than any national government I can think of.

Actually that would also mean nations such as China would be able to control and censor the web not to mention authoritarian groups (both left and right) could impose there will and censor certain people they don't like.

Heres a video taking about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xu5p_nDcrg&app=desktop

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:40 PM

Here comes the new world order all the tin foil hat wearer's where talking about years ago.

#7 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 818 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:04 PM

There's also the Trans-Pacific Partnership/TPP that the government is trying to pass JohnnyJammer.

#8 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:13 AM

There's also the Trans-Pacific Partnership/TPP that the government is trying to pass JohnnyJammer.

i know mate and thats going to basically have us ozzys bend over backwards for the USA.

They estimate something like .01 % growth for australia over 30 years with the TPP and it also allows any NGO to sue our government for any laws that may effect their profit margins IE(Like what gillard did with ciggy advertising).

Clinton doesnt want the TPP and so for that matter i hope she gets in.

#9 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 818 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:58 PM

Clinton doesnt want the TPP and so for that matter i hope she gets in.

Actually Hillary Clinton does want to pass the TPP as seen in this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjMGHb_I_bo&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop and Donald Trump isn't any better he'll probably pass the TPP as well. Either way were screwed. :( The only candidate who definitely would've voted no on the TPP is Bernie Sanders. But sadly he's not the nominee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users