Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JaneDoe999

JaneDoe999

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

my son has a toshiba L55 he charged it and went to turn it on but it won't turn on.  You hold the power button and you see green flashes. We took the battery out disconnected charger held power button down 20 seconds then put the battery back in.  Still nothing.  Can smeone please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:43 PM

Have you tried Re-seating the RAM and the HDD?

if not give that a shot, taking out the Battery RAM and HDD for 5 mins. 

Also are the flashes blinking in code? eg, 1-3-5.

Does it work with an external monitor? ( if so the screen/ribbon cable has an issue) if not it's most likely the GPU

I'd also check the CMOS battery to make sure it has juice. 

If none of those do anything it's most likely the motherboard has an issue, little difficult to say at the moment because we don't have enough details. 

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 JaneDoe999

JaneDoe999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:19 PM

I'm computer illiterate can you please break down what CMOS battery means? Also I don't have an external monitor any other suggestion? thank you

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:07 PM

The CMOS battery is usually a small round battery located on the motherboard that is used to keep your BIOS settings saved. It can either be in a bracket, or attached via a connector. Some are soldered to the motherboard.

If your computer is like the one in this video, I believe the battery is in the lower left at 2:38 into the video. I don't recommend you try and do this yourself if you are not familiar with disassembling computers. You can easily break one of the connectors to the motherboard if not done right.  I can't tell if the battery is replaceable from the video.

Pull the power adapter and battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the adapter but do not replace the main battery. Try booting.

As Viper_Security asked, does the blinking light have a blinking code and if it does what is it?

#5 JaneDoe999

JaneDoe999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:24 PM

JohnC_21

Thank you so much.  We did what you suggested with the battery out and it worked.  Knew I could count on this site for help.  Again thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users