Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Motherboard.. Need some opinions pls

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 HelpMePlsssss

HelpMePlsssss

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:26 PM

Current Build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 OEM 64-bit

I recently bricked the bios on this board and unable to boot to bios anymore. MSI says warranty has expired about 4 months ago and only option is to purchase a new board. Now I'm stomped on what board to purchase or even look at. This board is apparently 3 years old and there are many new boards on the market to look at. I will be upgrading to Windows 10 soon too.

What boards are best right now? Don't care about what brand. MSI isn't helping me much with getting this board repaired so I have a bitter taste in my mouth about them but if MSI is my best bet then I'd give it another try I guess.

If i plan on over-clocking in near future would it be enough?

Need help picking one of these 4. I plan on over-clocking soon. I also have 1 SSD drive and 3 other HD drives. so will need atleast 4 sata ports

4 boards I'm looking at currently-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:54 PM

Out of those 4 the Asus.

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:48 AM

Try that first https://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/support/techfaqdetail.aspx?formid=3046

#4 HelpMePlsssss

HelpMePlsssss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:58 PM

Yea I've done that. Can get any screen to pop up unfortuantly

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:15 PM

Yea I've done that. Can get any screen to pop up unfortuantly

Tried to reset CMOS (load setup defaults) before that?

Also how did you screw up BIOS?

#6 HelpMePlsssss

HelpMePlsssss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:53 PM

Live update made my version 7821v19, However my computer always got hung while loading. Very Very slow. I read up and it shows the you should use the live update to update BIOS, So I downloaded the 7821v19 from site and with the usb tool that is linked in forums. booted computer with usb in and it flashed and automatically turned off and rebooted. After the reboot nothing happened on my screen.

I currently have no operating system on this harddrive. Ive complete erased the contents of my SSD so i could reinstall windows 7 but before i did I wanted to make sure I had most recent BIOS. Which is where all the problems started

I have cleared c-mos button on back, taken out battery for several minutes, as well as jump the JBAT1.
Nothing seems to bring my display up. Apparently this board is no longer under warranty since 3 months ago which I found odd considering I bought the board only 2 years ago.
I have unpluged all drives, taken out Video card and still get no display when computer turns on. I have LED lights fans and battery power up fine. Just have no display.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:58 PM

There are services that flash new BIOS to chip. For that kind of services, you need to take BIOS chip from motherboard and send it to them, probably with correct BIOS file. That's another choice.

It sounds bad if BIOS update went OK but machine refuses to boot. You can also try with integrated graphics. And if you used HDMI with that 780Ti, that may also be reason.

#8 HelpMePlsssss

HelpMePlsssss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:34 PM

Well I took Video card out and I also unpluged everything even the SSD and HDD. Running HDMI straight from board and getting nothing. The chip is solder in and I'm not good with melting and such lol

#9 HelpMePlsssss

HelpMePlsssss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:37 PM

I just ordered a SPI programmer I will try to use on the board. Ordered a new board should have it next week. Will prob fix board and sell it. Sucks cus theres nothing wrong with the board besides the bios. I take very good care of my equipment. Theres not a spec of dust on the board since I use canned air and spray it weekly. But o well guess all the up-keeping good for nothing after all this lol

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:46 AM

It seems to be soldered, that sucks yeah. You also can try alternative recovery https://techjourney.net/recover-or-undo-corrupt-ami-bios-flash-update/

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:28 PM

Just for future reference, when a machine is running poorly in windows you never want to flash the bios live. You want to put the bios on a usb stick and use the bios flash utility. This way you're working outside the realm of the poorly running HD and/or corrupt Windows.

#12 HelpMePlsssss

HelpMePlsssss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:43 PM

It seems to be soldered, that sucks yeah. You also can try alternative recovery https://techjourney.net/recover-or-undo-corrupt-ami-bios-flash-update/

Yea Ive tried that several times and it doesnt work for me for some reason! Thanks tho!

Just for future reference, when a machine is running poorly in windows you never want to flash the bios live. You want to put the bios on a usb stick and use the bios flash utility. This way you're working outside the realm of the poorly running HD and/or corrupt Windows.

Yea def learned the hard way

Edited by HelpMePlsssss, 07 September 2016 - 05:44 PM.

#13 HelpMePlsssss

HelpMePlsssss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:51 PM

Okay new update!

New motherboard installed. Everything hooked up except SSD and other 3 drives.

Computer boots into BIOS!!!

BOOM RIGHT!?!? 

Turned computer off. Plugged in all drives. Computer hangs on black A2 screen, like it did before. My original problem. The problem before updating BIOS, the problem before complete hard drive erases, and etc...

Decided to turn computer off and unplug 1 drive at a time and turning computer off each time and turning it back on to find out if it is a drive thats messing things up. Computer still hung on A2 no matter what drive was plugged in. Unplugged all drives and turned on and BIOS boots right up.

Whats going on here!?!?!

Edited by HelpMePlsssss, 07 September 2016 - 05:52 PM.

#14 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:21 AM

Did you check your boot priority in the BIOS making sure that your OS drive boots up first and not the optical drive or LAN, etc? Sounds like it's looking for the boot drive upon powering on.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:36 PM

Which board did you buy and what type of bios does it have? Name, version etc.

Edit: The A2 codes are different for each bios type Award, AMI etc. It's likely the SSD drive not set up right in the bios IDE/AHCI things like that. Is the drive being detected by the bios?

Edited by technonymous, 11 September 2016 - 09:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users