Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ultimate Edition 5.0 and dead laptop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 04:23 PM

So i've been using UE5.0 for a while now, and recently my laptop would freeze requiring a hard restart when running 2 or more browsers (Vivaldi, Chrome, FireFox).

Laptop is Acer Aspire 5542G ( im on an XPS M1530 and no freezes yet) which leads me to believe it was something with my hardware UE didn't like, still using same RAM and SSD))

Yesterday my laptop froze so i did my hard restart thing and now:

The Laptop comes on but there is no video even with external monitor, 

Tested RAM 1x1 (even tried different RAM) nothing.

re-seated SSD, RAM and battery (both CMOS and power) nothing.

re applied thermal paste, nothing.

Completely Disassembled and put back together to make sure monitor ribbon cable wasn't loose. Nothing.

Nothing in any log files that would help.

held a flashlight up to my screen to make sure backlight didn't go out. nothing.

Any ideas? or did my laptop just die die. 

as i had said before, Laptop comes on BUT no POST, No video (even with external monitor) screen just stays black.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:31 PM

Have you tried booting it from a Live Puppy?

#3 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:50 PM

Have you tried booting it from a Live Puppy?

I have, i have tried 7 different OS's, with LXLE being the first and puppy being the last. with arch and debian mixes inbetween. Still nothing. 

thanks for your guys's time, i was using it like normal then it went all SNAFU on me haha. (doesnt even show the BIOS screen, just blackness.)

Edited by NickAu, 02 September 2016 - 09:33 PM.
Edited to remove reference to deleted post

hQBT2G3.png

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:05 PM

That's a bad sign. So are you getting any hard drive light activity can you feel any HD vibration of it spinning up, fans blowing etc? Maybe hook up external monitor.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:26 AM

That's a bad sign.

No video (even with external monitor) screen just stays black.

Has that model got a HDMI port? Cant hurt to try.

#6 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:45 AM

@Technonymous it's an SSD and no hdd light blinks, i just get the power light, no video with external monitor and i will try what NickAu had mentioned with the HDMI port, (it does have one so ill try that when i can) fan runs like it's normally starting up and continues to run till i force it to shut down.

I'm thinkin' it just died on me :/

hQBT2G3.png

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:22 AM

I'm thinkin' it just died on me :/

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, though I believe your thinking is correct. :(

Acer was never known for quality, and considering yours was from the DDR2 days, the notebook has actually been an exception to the rule. Most everyone whom I knew that had an Acer, it died just as the warranty expired, not too long afterwards, or they got rid of it before the bad happened. I was given maybe half a dozen for doing work for others, would install the latest Linux Mint LTS version on these & give to a needy person. I never used one except for this purpose, and would cleanup and repaste before installing Mint, as you did. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 03 September 2016 - 05:23 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,100 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 11:02 AM

With a quick search I see lots of video problems with the Acer's

Did you try the Power Cycle thing?

Many are having success Flashing BIOS to newest version but that is a risky project for some.

Do you have a Crisis Disk?  This was used by some also.

Edited by pcpunk, 03 September 2016 - 11:04 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 11:09 AM

With a quick search I see lots of video problems with the Acer's

Did you try the Power Cycle thing?

Many are having success Flashing BIOS to newest version but that is a risky project for some.

Do you have a Crisis Disk?  This was used by some also.

thats the first thing i tried,  

cant flash the bios if i cant see the screen.  no post nothing, like i had mentioned in my post, no video, even with external monitor, 

no crisis disk,no need for one atm, 

hQBT2G3.png

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,100 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:18 PM

I understand, sorry to repeat what you already done, just suggesting what worked for others when in the same state as yours.  They also had no screen, and no external monitor would work neither HDMI.  Some were power, Bios, or hardware boards.  I don't know how they Flashed BIOS when they could not see a screen, but it must work somehow, I seen many that did it.  One Tech said that he see's this all the time, and the BIOS Flash fixes it, I know this is not always the case.  FWIW I will leave this link:

http://www.acerrepairblog.us/aspire-5542-5542g-5242-5536-5536g-5236/steps-for-bios-recovery-by-crisis-disk.html

When trying the External Monitor did you use the Fn+F5 or Fn+F6 video toggle key combinations to see if the video adapter is OK. 

Good luck

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:19 PM

I understand, sorry to repeat what you already done, just suggesting what worked for others when in the same state as yours.  They also had no screen, and no external monitor would work neither HDMI.  Some were power, Bios, or hardware boards.  I don't know how they Flashed BIOS when they could not see a screen, but it must work somehow, I seen many that did it.  One Tech said that he see's this all the time, and the BIOS Flash fixes it, I know this is not always the case.  FWIW I will leave this link:

http://www.acerrepairblog.us/aspire-5542-5542g-5242-5536-5536g-5236/steps-for-bios-recovery-by-crisis-disk.html

When trying the External Monitor did you use the Fn+F5 or Fn+F6 video toggle key combinations to see if the video adapter is OK. 

Good luck

no worries

i had, even tried the crt/lcd Fn button still nothing.

just a little confused on how id flash the bios w/o seeing the screen, hmmm. ill dig more into that. ( there is an ALT+F10 combo i have not tried yet.)

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Viper_Security, 03 September 2016 - 01:20 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,100 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:54 PM

just a little confused on how id flash the bios w/o seeing the screen, hmmm. ill dig more into that. ( there is an ALT+F10 combo i have not tried yet.)

Thanks for your time.

Just some idea's, don't know if it is the BIOS, and Flashing it is risky.  Your flying blind, if you look at those instructions they tell you how to do the "BIOS Recovery", then you can Update it if needed...haven't found better yet unfortunately.  I've helped others with BIOS Flash and it took some persistence, because sometimes the process don't take, or just the fact that you are flying blind.  Watching the LED on the USB will be a key factor.

Did you try this trick.  What you described in first post was a little different, maybe just your description was abbreviated.  Interestingly most of the directions I see don't include removing the CMOS.  One would think removing CMOS would be good.  Maybe give this another shot before more risky proceedures:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/How-to-perform-a-Hard-Reset-to-resolve-Hardware-Software/td-p/1965743

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 11:25 PM

I responded late, I was going to mention the bios battery as well or heat. Not sure if you did this or not, but you might want to break it down to get the dust bunnies packed in there out. A lot of times a can of air just isn't enough because it's packed in there like a hornets nest. You got to get in there and scrub it off with a toothbrush that's what I use. Then blast it with air. Check the fan too if it spins freely.

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:09 AM

techononymous is correct, those dust bunnies can really clog up to the point where just compressed air alone won't do the trick, the breaking up of these are required to get the majority of these. :thumbup2:

However, given that the OP has stated that the notebook was completely disassembled, so I'd take it that being the case here, he'd had picked any out while torn down to the core & carefully wiped the interior that couldn't be blown. There would be no need in doing all of that work & what it entails not to do this while everything is easy to access. This service would be a minimum of $300 at any PC shop due to the ways notebooks are constructed & literally hundreds of configurations to keep up with. 

For the OP to do this, I take it that he must have more experience than I when it comes to notebooks, while I may reluctantly do this for myself, would never do it for another again for another person, other than basic cleaning, though would pick the dust bunnies that I can physically see & reach & then blow again with all possible doors/flaps open. Too much work for too little in return for a complete teardown when one has no license, insurance & other necessities that a qualified PC shop has. 

Although the freelancer's work may be just as good, if not better than a licensed facility, too many are more concerned with seeing plaques that says 'Microsoft Partner', 'graduate of (xyz) university'. as well as a business license, which means the person (or franchise) has paid out a lot of cash to obtain the latter credential. None of which impresses me in the least, there's just as many unlicensed technicians that has worked successfully for over 20 years as there are licensed ones, out of a spare room in the home, a shop in the backyard, and provides just as good (if not better) work over a slick talking clerk who is actually a salesperson for a half baked 'technician' whom barely passed school or other training. And saves the consumer anywhere between 15 to 40%, mainly due to the lack of unnecessary overhead. :)

And many freelancers are honest enough to inform the consumer that the job isn't worth the cost of the computer. To test this theory, take a notebook that has an actual value of $50 to a shop (to include Best Buy) & see what they charge to repair it. If worth more than the cost of the computer, am not saying they're totally dishonest, though aren't upfront with the facts. However if they want $400 to repair the computer, that is on the dishonest side, if they don't first inform the owner before repairs are made either face to face or by phone. 

So after reading the OP's opening post carefully, have determined that outside of CMOS battery replacement (though he did say the current one was reseated), has covered the basics well. However, these batteries doesn't last forever & normally needs replacement between 5-7 years. Some batteries that appears proprietary are actually common CR2032 batteries wrapped in a shell & has wires to attach to a port. If carefully unwrapped, one can duplicate the same process with electrical tape re-wrapped carefully & securely, and a dose of attention to detail (the contact points) & patience. Snapshots with a digital camera or that of a cellphone can help remember the process by steps. The OEM just wants your $35-45 & $12-20 for two day shipping over a twin pack of the same for $5 at a local Walmart. :P

In fact, this can also be done with rechargeable phone batteries that uses 'AAA' type, just pay attention to how these are daisy chained.

I can attest to this, have re-wrapped more proprietary CR2032 batteries than I can remember, plus phone batteries of my own. As soon as these in my over 3 year old phone goes, will replace with two pairs of rechargeable AAA batteries. 

There is one lesser used battery, though forget which one it is, still begins with 'CR', however have only used these maybe 5-6 times in the last 9 years, mainly on not too old (2008-11) HP computers. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:26 AM

However, given that the OP has stated that the notebook was completely disassembled, so I'd take it that being the case here, he'd had picked any out while torn down to the core & carefully wiped the interior that couldn't be blown. There would be no need in doing all of that work & what it entails not to do this while everything is easy to access. This service would be a minimum of $300 at any PC shop due to the ways notebooks are constructed & literally hundreds of configurations to keep up with. 

I'm with Cat on this one.

I agree that more modern notebooks/netbooks/laptops are, by their very nature, much more densely packed with components than older machines. And far more of the components tend to be soldered permanently in place, too.

When I decided on a CPU upgrade on my old Dell Inspiron laptop (single-core 'NetBurst'-gen Celeron to a genuine P4), I took the opportunity , while she was stripped down, to perform a whole host of things I'd been planning for ages. Admittedly, there's a lot of space inside the old girl; the case is nearly 2" deep!

As well as replacing the CPU (new thermal paste, of course), I took the opportunity to give her a thorough spring-clean (the heatsink was clogged blind with a solid wadge of dust and fluff). I also took the chance to replace the CMOS battery, which on these is a 'soldered to the mobo' job, on the underside of the board.....which of course entails a total, down-to-the-case stripdown. At the same time, I replaced the elderly Hitachi hard drive with a more modern IDE/PATA SSD, and for good measure, fixed a long-standing problem with one of the screen hinges

It definitely pays to plan out what needs doing, and to do it all at the same time. I'm lucky in that I've always been 'technically-minded', and find this sort of fiddly work which requires plenty of patience and attention to detail quite easy to undertake. It helps that I'm interested in what I'm doing, and enjoy it!

And it cost me nothing other than a couple of hours of my own time (and a total of £35 for the CPU & SSD on eBay).

Sorted.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 04 September 2016 - 05:30 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users