Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yea, I clicked a link

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HughG

HughG

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:36 PM

Hi there,

I'm looking for advice.  I'm usually very diligent about never clicking a link in an email from an unknown source, but I erred yesterday, a very nicely crafted email supposed from Ray Ban fooled me, so in haste, I clicked the unsubscribe link.  To my horror I was directed to a unknown site.  The URL was:

"http://store DOT qtsxh.com/oem/u.php?p=sr/rs/1bgl/st/sr/rs"   (I replaced the first "."  with " DOT " so nobody inadvertently clicks this link.)

Checking the Whois on this site its registered to a Chinese based company called Xiamen PrivacyProtection Service Co., Ltd, and Googling them comes up with a variety of other domains and but no information on the company.

I tried scanning the site with the Sucuri SiteCheck, but it ended with the error: Unable to properly scan your site. HTTP Errors Returned.

I am concerned that I may have infected my computer by clicking this link.  I've scanned with my Antivirus program (ZoneAlarm Antuivirus) as well as Malwaredbytes and SuperSpyware, with no infections reported.

My question to the group is; how can I determine whether that site posed a threat to my system?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Hugh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:31 PM

That link looks fine; it is probably just an unsubscribe script, though I cannot analyze what it served you the first time you visited it. Generally you will not be infected by clicking on a link; exploits that can break outside of browser sandboxes are usually used in a targeted manner against specific people. That said, being careful never hurts.

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#3 HughG

HughG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:18 AM

That link looks fine; it is probably just an unsubscribe script, though I cannot analyze what it served you the first time you visited it. Generally you will not be infected by clicking on a link; exploits that can break outside of browser sandboxes are usually used in a targeted manner against specific people. That said, being careful never hurts.

Thanks for the reply Ian.  I hope you are right!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users