Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boots fine in Safe Mode, lines across screen in normal?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OmnomsZombies

OmnomsZombies

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:55 PM

I think this is where I should be posting this. I'm booting fine in safe mode, and it will be ok booting normal until I get to the desktop. Once I get there, I can see my desktop but it has lines across it and I'm not sure what's happening.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:09 PM

First guess is problem with GPU driver. Any recent changes or updates? What model computer do you have? Or if home build, what model GPU or motherboard.

Also, what do the lines look like? Vertical or horizontal? Blinking or constant? Black,white, colored?

#3 OmnomsZombies

OmnomsZombies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:21 PM

Black with some white, horizontal. Constant. The GPU is AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series. I don't know what the motherboard is. It's home built, but I didn't do any updates. I was gaming and the screen went blue. I can boot it up normally, and it has the lines, but if I try to open chrome or anything it goes grey.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:31 PM

What Operating System are you using so I can list the driver specifically? Or try going here and use the Auto detect tool. Not sure if it will work in safe mode(with networking) though.

Good news is white lines isn't as bad as green and purple lines like this. That usually means hardware failure. 

Edited by Trikein, 02 September 2016 - 07:37 PM.

#5 OmnomsZombies

OmnomsZombies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:09 PM

It doesn't work in safe mode, but I'm using Windows 7
They look like those but they're just black or white.

#6 OmnomsZombies

OmnomsZombies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:11 PM

This is a pic of the screen and the graphics card

Attached Files

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:28 AM

It doesn't work in safe mode, but I'm using Windows 7
They look like those but they're just black or white.

What doesn't work?

Are you saying that the problems disappear in safe mode...or that you cannot even boot into safe mode?

Louis

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:14 PM

Download this installer onto a flash drive or some other external media and run it on the computer. It looks like you also tried re-seating the card. Have you checked for any settings in BIOS that apply to the PCI socket the GPU is in? Looking at the new pictures, I am thinking it could be the card dying. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users