Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How is this problem ... back?!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:48 PM

A few months ago, I bought a new motherboard. I was advised by a local computer expert to reinstall my OS. I did so, but when I did, I had a weird problem with my Internet connection.

The Internet would spontaneously drop. In the bottom right corner of my screen, I would see a red X over the computer icon, and when I ran diagnostics, the only recommendation I would get would be to plug an ethernet cord into the computer, even though one was clearly already in.

It would last for about 2-3 minutes, before the Internet would finally come back. However, after a few weeks, it finally stopped.

But here's the weirdest part. I recently did another clean install, thinking that my malfunctioning keyboard was actually a virus.  The clean install didn't fix the problem, so I just had to buy a new keyboard.

But here's where it really starts to get strange ... the problem of my Internet going off and restarting after about 2.5 minutes has come back!

This is really head-scratching! In the worst case screnario, I would expect a clean install to have no effect on a problem, since that can't solve hardware issues.  But the absolute LAST thing on the planet I would expect to happens is ... for a previously gone problem to suddenly resurface!

What the heck, guys?! Just what the heck?!

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 1050ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:07 PM

I would affect it depending on the version of the driver installed. The Ethernet network connection requires a driver, the one from Windows update or the Windows installer is not always correct. With newer machines, it is never correct. The issue you describe of the connection suddenly dying after a few weeks really sounds like a lack of appropriate driver.

In order to advise a driver to download I will need to know the hardware you have. Download Speccy.

• Download the free version of Speccy from piriform (there is also a "portable" version if you do not want to actually install anything.)
  • Run Speccy.exe if you use a 32-bit (x86) OS or run the 64-bit version of you run a 64 bit OS.
  • Let Speccy do its thing, it may take a while
  • When Speccy finishes click the File Menu and select Publish Snapshot
  • Click Copy to Clipboard
  • Paste the link you copied in your next reply. It should look like this: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tsQ2oSFGAwvqpWwZgknxESl

#3 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:22 PM

I installed the net drivers from a disc that came with the motherboard. How can they be obsolete?

In any event, my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P. What are the most up-to-date drivers for that board?

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 1050ti

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:27 PM

Download the latest drivers here. The drivers that come on the disc are not always up-to-date. Unless you can not figure out who makes your computer, it is always better to get drivers directly from the manufacturer's website.

What operating system are you using stebbinsd?

Edited by Gorbulan, 02 September 2016 - 02:28 PM.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:04 PM

There have been some weird goings on with system reinstalls and updates issued since the start date.  Others have had the opposite, working well until the update and drivers get overwritten with junk that doesn't work anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users