Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet keeps cutting out

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tzoromski135

tzoromski135

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:24 PM

Hi all,

I'm experiencing a high number of times where my Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 keeps "resetting" the connection and my provider Charter Communications refuses to do anything about pinpointing why it keeps losing the connection because "it's not our modem you're using" and "there's no issues in your area".  My modem is kinda old - about 4+ years old I think and this happened about a year ago (modem kept resetting, losing connection, etc), so I did a search and found a forum that talked about how ISP lines are "dirty", old and sometimes bad causing the modem to have to "scream" at a high frequency to communicate with servers and keep doing the "endless cycling" to reconnect to a server.  The forum recommended trying a ARRIS BDA-K1-RA Drop Amp with Active return to help keep the connection active. 

This helped until a month ago - everything was stable, then the dropping and cycling has occurred every few days, then it will be stable for a couple days, then it will re-cycle again.  

Now, I'm not sure if this is a sign that my modem is "dying" of old age and needs replacing or if Charter Communications is to blame for my issues and they just refuse to do anything since I'm not using their modem for $7.00 a month.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:24 PM

What are your signal levels? To find them, log into the gateway(modem):

1. Open a browser window.

2. Type in the IP address for the modem 192.168.0.1.

3. Type in the default Username; admin.

4. Type in the default Password; motorola. 

5. Click "Status" then "Connection". 

The screen should look like this. I think you got bad information from the other forum. If your upstream is high because of noise, adding a amp just makes it worse. It's like having a scratched CD and trying to fix it by turning the volume up. Instead, you should try to get the most direct connection from the street to your gateway by bypassing any splitters you can.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:34 PM

Hopefully this wireless gateway had been setup by you so everything was not at default which would allow you to be hacked

Your manual

https://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/images/support/faqs/Internet/cable-modems/Internet%20Cable%20Modems/Motorola_SBG6580_Modem_UserGuide.pdf

I am not seeing a way to review the actual modem part [transmission log] of the router like you can with a standalone modem.

Exactly where in the chain are you losing connection?  Between you and the router or the router and the isp?

Edited by Wand3r3r, 04 September 2016 - 03:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users