Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Trouble Removing Laptop Bezel

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rvan801

Rvan801

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:33 PM

Hi everyone, I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop that needs an inverter replaced (the screen is very dim, but shows up just fine on an external monitor), so I have started to take off the bezel. There are six cushions covering the screw holes, and the bottom two had screws underneath them that I had no problem removing with a precision screwdriver, but the top four cushions are giving me an issue. Underneath those are not screws, but rather these white, circular pegs that I have never seen before. I tried searching online, but cannot find out what they are or how to remove them to finish getting the bezel off. I can take a picture if it would help, but if anyone knows what these white pegs are where I would have been expecting screws, please let me know how they can be removed. Thanks so much in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:03 PM

Everything I have seen on the 1501 show 4 screws at the top of the bezel. It would help if you could attach a closeup image of the white pegs.

#3 Rvan801

Rvan801
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:18 PM

Sure, sorry I didn't include any images initially. I have two attached showing the white peg(s), and another picture showing one of the two screw holes that actually had a screw (which has already been removed).

Attached Files

#4 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:28 PM

http://support.feelpcs.com/pc-spec/Inspiron1501/display.htm

This shows those as just being covers as you mentioned.. I can't really find any specific ways to remove the covers themselves. Do they not just pull off? Can you use something small to pinch the outer edges inward?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:30 PM

That looks like an additional screw cover. See if you can gently pry it off with a pick tool.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 September 2016 - 01:30 PM.

#6 Rvan801

Rvan801
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:49 PM

Thanks so much, both of you! It seems that it was indeed a screw cover, and with enough force, I was able to pry it off! So, before I remove those four screws and start physically removing the bezel, I just thought I'd ask, is there any damage I can do by trying to replace the inverter myself? I've already removed the laptop's battery, but just want to be sure before proceeding that there's no major harm I could do. Any other precautions I should take?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:05 PM

Just be careful and ground yourself on some bare metal before touching the inverter. I would hold the power button down for about 20 or 30 seconds to draw down any power. Note: If the inverter does not solve the problem then it's probably the CCFL tube going bad.

#8 Rvan801

Rvan801
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:40 PM

Unfortunately, one more problem: the four screws underneath those white screw covers won't budge at all, even though I had no issue when using the same precision screwdriver with the bottom two screws. I'm pushing down and twisting counterclockwise, but they are tighter than I could have ever imagined. Any tips? Thanks again, and sorry for all this!

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 04:03 PM

Some people will drill out the screw and then use an extractor but that is a last resort option.

If the top of the screwdriver has a movable cap then you can push down hard with the palm of your hand and use your other hand to turn the screwdriver. If the screwdriver does not have a rotating cap then try placing something over the top of the screwdriver such as a small cap that would let you push down on the handle with one hand while twisting the screwdriver with the other.

See this page for additional tips.

http://superuser.com/questions/1013024/how-do-you-remove-stubborn-screws-from-a-laptop/1013039

#10 Rvan801

Rvan801
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:03 PM

Almost there! The bezel is off, and I see the inverter that needs replacing, but there is a single, very small screw keeping it in place. The Phillips screwdriver (size 0) that I have been using so far seems too big, so I am looking for a size 00 screwdriver or even 000. Which size would likely be the right one, and what type of store even sells screwdrivers this small? I have found both sizes online, but am hoping to finish the repair this weekend, and so would rather have one in hand sooner, if possible.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:06 PM

I have used very small flat blade screwdrivers on tiny phillips heads. Look at using a jewelers screwdriver set.  Is the screw a phillips type or a small torx type.The torx type looks like a star. 

Something like this may work. Just an example. You may find something locally. 

Use the dropdown box here to select a 000 phillips.

Edit: Do you live near a harbor freight?

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-precision-screwdriver-set-47823.html

Edit Edit: If you have an eyeglass repair kit in the house, the screwdriver may be able to loosen the phillips if small enough.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 September 2016 - 01:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users