Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Small Form Factor Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 foxfaisal

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:04 PM

Mod Edit:  Split From http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/481160/upgrading-small-form-factor - Hamluis.

I just recently bought an off-lease HP dc5800 computer from TigerDirect. The hardware sounded impressive- Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.0gHz, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive, with Windows 7. I didn't realize until after buying it that it was a small form factor computer.

Also, after getting the computer and setting it up, I found out the integrated video card is craptastic at best. It doesn't even run Win 7 smoothly, much less any games.

I want to upgrade my video card to something with 1 GB RAM, but every video card I'm finding requires at least a 300W power supply, some of them 400 or 450W! And, of course, hardly anyone makes upgraded PSU's for SFF computers and if they do, they cost almost as much as I paid for this computer.

What can I do? Is there any way I can swap the components of this computer to something like a microtower that uses a regular size PSU?

I feel like I'm stuck with this nice hardware hindered by a bleepty graphics card in barely-upgradeable case sad.gif

Have you upgraded your HP Compaq dc5800 Small Form Factor? My sister also have an old HP Compaq dc5800 Small Form Factor. It originally came with Windows XP (Downgraded from Windows Vista). Since the support for Windows XP has already expired, recently I installed Windows 10 on her PC. I noticed that it feels slow running Windows 10 on that PC.

I would like to replace the motherboard and processor of the PC, but I am not sure whether it is mini ITX or micro ATX. I tried to google, but so far all the website that I visited don't list the motherboard dimension for HP Compaq dc5800 Small Form Factor.
Can anyone of you help me determine the size of the motherboard (mini-ITX or micro-ATX) that I should install in the HP Compaq dc5800 Small Form Factor? 
Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 02 September 2016 - 11:40 AM.
Split - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:00 AM

My first suggestion is to start a new message thread as I also suggest replacing the System as it is mostly proprietary. I also suggest going to our System Building and upgrading forum here:

if You can find a motherboard to fit I suspect it will not be cheap and also note that newer systems use faster different memory.

Good Luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 hamluis

• 54,997 posts
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:01 PM

IMO...rather than waste money with a SFF system that is dated...a smarter thing to do would be to purchase a more current refurbished system (with warranty) that already has Win 10 installed.  Said system would provide a much better value, IMO.

Some Examples

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users