Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot send email on windows 10 computer

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 757Pirate

757Pirate

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:00 AM

Suddenly, my computer stopped sending emails. I can receive and send on iphone and other computers on my home network, but not from my personal computer.  I also have McAfee Security on this computer only and assumed it was blocking the send.  After much frustration, I turned off security, but still have send issues.  By send issues, the program sends, but is returned with "failure notification"  Please any suggestions???  My computer is used almost exclusively for work!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:09 AM

What is the exact failure notification? Also, what version of McAfee do you have? Have you tried disabling scanning of email all together? Depending on version, this may work:

1. Open (double-click icon) the McAfee Security Center.
  2. Click the Configure button on the left pane.
  3. Double-click "E-mail and IM"
  4. Click the Advanced button un E-mail protection.
  5. Un-check "Scan outbound e-mail messages"
  6. Click OK

PS. I would suggest getting rid of McAfee all together. It is bottom shelf protection and does more harm then good IMO. Specially for a business PC.

PSS. How did you fix the similar problem from your thread a year ago?

Edited by Trikein, 02 September 2016 - 11:12 AM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:15 AM

What is the exact failure notification?

To add to that, the exact notification usually contains an error number or other information which will zero in on the issue.
It is important that we have that information in order to help you.

IF your email address name is included in the error xxx out the part before @where ever.com/net/etc.

#4 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:23 AM

The version is McAfee total protection version 14.  

This is the most recent notification from "postmaster"

Reporting-MTA: dns;SNT004-WSS1S2.hotmail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns;SNT405-EAS265
Arrival-Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 08:46:19 -0700

Final-Recipient: xxx;@cox.net
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 5.6.2 Delivery SMTP Error. Command: 3. Response: 535 5.7.0 ...authentication rejected
. Type=1 (1908582017:817:-2147418113)

As for your initial steps.. I can't even find the "email settings" in McAfee.  I tend to agree this McAfee is worthless at this point.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 September 2016 - 11:34 AM.
deleted final recipient name

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:35 AM

Are you getting the error for all mail you send?

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:35 AM

It looks like you are trying to send through a Hotmail SMTP server with a Cox username.  Can you confirm your incoming and outgoing server information? POP/IMAP/SMTP/domain of email/etc

#7 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:41 AM

Server is Cox.. it is a POP/IMAP/SMTP

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:51 AM

No I meant what is your server information. See here for instructions. Looking for:

POP/IMAP server name:

Email address: user@domain.com Feel free to remove user for privacy reasons, but include domain.

SMTP server name:

SMTP username: Should be same as User. If different please inform.

You are getting the error from Hotmail's servers when sending to a Cox.net email. The only reason I can think of that happening is if you are trying to send through Hotmail with a Cox email.

Edited by Trikein, 02 September 2016 - 11:58 AM.

#9 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:58 AM

pop.cox.net

userxx@cox.net

smtp.cox.net

#10 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:07 PM

Was the error received when trying to send email from userxx@cox.net to user@hotmail account? Can you send a test email from userxx@cox.net to userxx@cox.net?

What do you have as your username/password under Outgoing? On the screen you got the settings above, click "More Settings" in the bottom right, and then "Outgoing Server" tab and should see something like this:

outlook2010_005.jpg

It should be selected as shown above. I think right now it is set to a Hotmail email address. If so, you are trying to send email as a hotmail user over Cox SMTP servers, and when they relay the user/password, hotmail is saying it's wrong.

Was this orginally a Hotmail account that you changed the POP/SMTP settings of? If so, did the original Hotmail account use IMAP? If so, I would suggest creating a new profile in Outlook with your Cox email settings. You don't need to delete your current profile, you can just disable it from syncing. 

Edited by Trikein, 02 September 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#11 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:45 PM

The settings have always been set as above.  We never had a hotmail email address.  Yes, we can email between our cox.net.

In addition, I have deleted McAfee and all related files and activated Windows Defender in its place for now.   Now testing to see if that was the problem,  I don't know what caused the problem but it started out of nowhere about three days ago.  As I said before, I feel it changed during some McAfee update or scan.. but not sure of it.  Will advise if the uninstall solved the problem.  Thanks!

#12 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:47 PM

Btw, that computer is the only computer on our home network that had McAfee on it, which is how I narrowed down that, that must be the problem, since it was the only computer having send issues.  

Edited by 757Pirate, 02 September 2016 - 02:48 PM.

#13 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:44 PM

::Edit:: I think I know what is happening but could you reply with the entire bounce back email including error and headers(From/To/Subject/etc).

I think Cox's SMTP server is reporting that Hotmail's mail server blocked your IP from sending email to their users. That could be caused by a faulty email scanner in McAfee, but that wouldn't explain why it doesn't effect anyone sending email on your network. Hoping the entire bounce back will provide more insight.

Edited by Trikein, 02 September 2016 - 03:59 PM.

#14 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 04:14 PM

no... reply to is not set to anything.   

The failure notification is coming from postmaster@mail.hotmail.com.  

Also, have just tried sending email again now that McAfee is gone and still having same issue.

I can't find anything in the settings anywhere that is showing hotmail.  

#15 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 04:27 PM

Are you sending to someone with a hotmail email address? IE user@hotmail.com or user@outlook.com?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users