Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notification message failed update of google chrome

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 michaelg90

michaelg90

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:10 AM

Hello,

I use on XP OS.

Every some times, the google chrome browser displays a rectangle in the top right corner at color grey which is written in style "Google chrome not up-to-date and could'nt to update, and therefore I need to install again", and two buttons: "install now", "later".

If I click on the button "later", so I get a stripe in the upper line in clolor orange that is written "Google chrome doesn't support in windows xp...". I click on the X, and the first message back again after some time.

I installed the browser again without uninstall, and it doesn't help.

I canceled the automatic updates through two places:

1. Two services of google update in services.msc

2. Local group policy within update of google.

What can I do without to switch to another browsers or update to newer OS?

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2016 - 04:06 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:28 AM

I would say you pretty much answered your own question...you likely will either need to find a browser that still supports Windows XP or update to a newer version of Windows...or live with the possible messages about Google Chrome no being up to date.

FWIW, it seems like Firefox will still support Windows XP: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/48.0.2/system-requirements/

#3 michaelg90

michaelg90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:49 AM

I tried Firefox, but the site that I want to display, not showing it correct.

#4 corradettikean

corradettikean

• Banned Spammer
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:23 AM

You should update your your OS that might be make sense. 

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:35 PM

You should update your your OS that might be make sense.

I would tend to agree since Windows XP's support has ended. If you use Windows XP on an Internet connected computer (which would be true in this case since we are talking about browsers), then you are becoming ever more at risk as time goes by a potentially more and more vulnerabilities might be found that are no longer being patched by Microsoft. I supposed there is an argument that could be made that as more and more people upgrade to newer versions of Windows, there are then fewer people left on Windows XP, which means that Windows XP become less enticing of a target for "bad guys". Not sure how much weight I would give to that argument at this time, however, as I believe there are still lots of systems (including some point of sale...aka cash register...systems) that run Windows XP.

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2016 - 04:05 PM.

#6 michaelg90

michaelg90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:38 AM

Finally, I found a solution.

For to prevent the failed google update notification I stopped the two services of google update at services.msc, and for to prevent the yellow infobar from appearing, I added the --disable-infobars flag to my command.

#7 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:09 PM

Hello,

I use on XP OS.

Every some times, the google chrome browser displays a rectangle in the top right corner at color grey which is written in style "Google chrome not up-to-date and could'nt to update, and therefore I need to install again", and two buttons: "install now", "later".

If I click on the button "later", so I get a stripe in the upper line in clolor orange that is written "Google chrome doesn't support in windows xp...". I click on the X, and the first message back again after some time.

I installed the browser again without uninstall, and it doesn't help.

I canceled the automatic updates through two places:

1. Two services of google update in services.msc

2. Local group policy within update of google.

What can I do without to switch to another browsers or update to newer OS?

Thanks.

If you ARE willing to try a different browser, this article will really interest you:

http://www.slimjet.com/blog/regarding-support-for-windows-xp-and-32-bit-linux/

Slimjet browser works well on Windows Vista, based on my usage experience.  The browser is nearly identical to google chrome.  Updates are no problem.  Slimjet also comes in a portable form, which is how I have it on my computer (the one still with Vista).  As according the article, Slimjet is still supported for Windows XP.

Note here, the little hyperlink which says, if you want it, "portable version":  http://www.slimjet.com/en/dlpage.php

but you can use the installer form of the browser if desired.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users