Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Made Hard Freezes while downloading

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CarpeVexillum

CarpeVexillum

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:54 PM

Hey there, I have been having this issue for over a year and I have no clue how to fix it so I am throwing my line into the internet. 

The Issue:

Computer reliably freezes while downloading. I can literally boot up steam, start a 10 gig download and it is almost certain to freeze during it at some point.

What have I done so far:

I have checked the event log, but since it is a hard freeze it only catches the forced power down. 

-researched for days of combined time over the past 2 years

-run multiple virus scan and malware scan programs one at a time

-I have updated all programs, drivers, and bios for my motherboard

-I have run memtest properly for 24 hours each stick

-I have replaced my, PSU/GPU/Mobo/RAM/HDD each time testing the download issue. 

-I have not replaced my, Case, Keyboard, Mouse, or CPU

Specs:

Win 10 Home

Intel i7 3770

Nvidia GTX 970

Asus Z77-A

8 Gig Ripjaw 2 sticks

Rosewill Gold PSU

Internal Hybrid SSHD

Razer Oroboro Mouse

Razer Deathstalker Keyboard

Edited by CarpeVexillum, 01 September 2016 - 11:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:07 AM

If you still need help with this issue, please post the following logs:

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  [quote]SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php )

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 CarpeVexillum

CarpeVexillum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:01 AM

Perfmon did not work. 

· OS - Windows 10 Pro
· x86  x64 
· Windows 10
· Full Retail? Free download
· 2 years for cpu, everything else is a year old.
· 4 days

· CPU  Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W
· Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 DirectX 12 04G-P4-3973-KR 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support Video Card

· MotherBoard -  ASUS Z77-A LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
· Power Supply -  Rosewill CAPSTONE-750 - 750-Watt Active PFC Power Supply - Continuous @ 122 Deg. F (50C), 80 PLUS Gold
· Home
· n/a

·  Desktop

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:45 PM

There's this error just before each system shutdown:

Certificate for local system with Thumbprint de 90 69 7d 57 94 d6 35 4a 12 50 b3 76 67 7f a5 5d 40 82 41 is about to expire or already expired.

You may want to research it, as I have no knowledge of Certificates or their management.

More to follow tonight or in the AM - headed out to dinner now.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:26 PM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 0805) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

On 3 Sep around 8:49pm you had a BSOD event related to your USB 3.

What devices are connected to your USB 3 ports?

Does the computer have more than one ethernet port?  If so, does it freeze when using either port?

As it's possible (maybe even likely?) that this is a hardware problem, start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Then, if all those pass, try this procedure to rule out the other devices:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

To effectively test the networking, you may have to purchase another ethernet card to plug into your motherboard.

They're relatively cheap, so you may want to consider having one on hand in case of future failures.

OR, you can purchase one from a store that will let you return it (for your money back) if you don't need it.

#6 CarpeVexillum

CarpeVexillum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:56 PM

I will update my Bios and check for updates manually. As well as run the hardware test and get back to you on this. I have nothing connected to my USB 3 ports, because I saw that error and tried to eliminate it by not having anything plugged in. My computer does not have more than one ethernet port. But I did replace the motherboard completely with no success in stopping the issue.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:04 AM

A motherboard replacement is a huge troubleshooting tool.
With that done, it's relatively easy to rule out the other hardware pieces.

Did the old and new motherboards have the ethernet ports built into them?

#8 CarpeVexillum

CarpeVexillum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:36 PM

A motherboard replacement is a huge troubleshooting tool.
With that done, it's relatively easy to rule out the other hardware pieces.

Did the old and new motherboards have the ethernet ports built into them?

Yes both motherboards had built in ports. Is it possible that the CPU is an issue? 

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:22 AM

Yes, it's possible.  But, have you run the CPU stress tests?  How about Prime95 (Blend, Small FFT's, and Large FFT's tests)?

Those will help to rule out a CPU problem.

And, FYI - motherboard problems are more common than CPU problems - by a large amount

#10 CarpeVexillum

CarpeVexillum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:15 AM

Yes, it's possible.  But, have you run the CPU stress tests?  How about Prime95 (Blend, Small FFT's, and Large FFT's tests)?

Those will help to rule out a CPU problem.

And, FYI - motherboard problems are more common than CPU problems - by a large amount

I will run some stress tests tonight. I have monitored it while downloading and it doesn't seem to cause any issues with the cpu. 

#11 CarpeVexillum

CarpeVexillum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:20 PM

I tried replacing my CPU and this darn machine still freezes when downloading. By process of elimination all that is left is my case, but I really doubt that would cause the issues I am having. Maybe it's a combination of all the things i have installed I don't know, does anyone else have any other suggestions?

#12 AnotherMindbomb

AnotherMindbomb

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:32 AM

Do these freezes occur ONLY when you're downloading?

What about uploading (or any other time?)

When you changed out each of the other components in the machine, did you install a fresh copy of Windows each time or did you simply change out the part and fire the machine up with the same hard-drive containing the same copy of Windows?

#13 CarpeVexillum

CarpeVexillum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:14 PM

No, sometimes they occur when video playback, or when gaming. But it is irrefutably repeatable when downloading.

I did not reinstall windows with each replaced component. I did reinstall windows after getting a new hard drive and a new cpu. 

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:33 AM

If you reinstalled Windows and the problems continue - there's only a few possibilities:

- your installation media has a problem (try downloading a fresh copy from here:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/ )

- you've installed something that isn't compatible w/Windows (the solution for this is to only install Windows and it's updates)

- Windows isn't fully updated (ensure that it's updated)

- There may be problem devices in Device Manager (check to see - post back for advice on fixing them if there are problems)

So, what we've done above is to ensure that Windows is properly installed and that there's no 3rd party stuff installed.

In short, that takes care of any software problems.  If the system still has problems, then it's most likely a hardware problem.

So, ensure that you perform ALL of these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

If they don't find anything, then try this procedure to rule out different hardware components:  http;//www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users