Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows fails to load

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 giraffasus

giraffasus

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:27 PM

Yesterday I used my computer for a brief moment, quickly checked my email, checked an internet game through Kongregate.com, and then turned off the computer, an NEC laptop. This morning I turned and was given the Windows Boot Manager screen detailing that

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem....

File: \boot\bcd

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

Any help?

I have a windows 7 disc, but that installation was on a different computer. This is a different installation. Do I have to have the exact same disc?

Edited by giraffasus, 01 September 2016 - 11:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:01 AM

Have a read here

http://www.wintips.org/repair-windows-7-or-vista-boot-errors-problems/

#3 giraffasus

giraffasus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:01 AM

Read through this. Reordering the boot priority didn't do anything. i suppose I will have to wait to buy a disc to make a repair disc. I will post again on Monday as that will be next time I will have access to this particular computer.

#4 giraffasus

giraffasus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:26 AM

Sorry for the very late reply.

Well. I figured out my other windows 7 computer fails to recognize a blank cd whenever i insert one. I suppose the dvd/cd drive installed is a read only thus I have failed to creat a recovery disc as listed in the link. I also followed steps to make a boot recovery file on a thumb drive, I followed this http://www.digitalcitizen.life/create-usb-memory-stick-system-recovery-tools, but it failed to load when tried it on the computer that is stuck at the error screen.

One other thing, I suppose I hadn't thought about it in my first post. On the computer is SOPHOS safeguard, which boots first, then after entering the password brings starts the Windows boot process. The safeguard boots fine, but always after going through the login Windows fails to load. Not sure what to try now.

Can I make a system recovery disc from an iso of windows 7? if so where can I find such a thing? Or can I use my other computer, which is running Windows 10 to make a system recovery disc?

Edited by giraffasus, 13 September 2016 - 04:46 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:09 AM

Since you have a Windows 7 installation disc you can use it to do a Repair Installation.  The title is misleading, this is not a installation.  It allows you to access the System Recovery Options, one of which is the Startup Repair.

Repair Installation Instructions

Attention:  In order to boot from the installation disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the optical driver is the first device in the boot order, and the HDD/SSD is the second devcice.

1.  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2.  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, do so.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3.  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4.  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5.  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6.  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7.  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8.  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9.  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10.  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 giraffasus

giraffasus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:24 AM

Yeah. I have an old windows 7 installation disc. I will have to try this on Thursday. I'll post after my attempt.

#7 giraffasus

giraffasus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:17 AM

Tried a start up repair with my disc of windows 7 from a different computer. Upon entering the menu there is no windows installation listed to attempt repairs. I can load drivers but I am not sure where to find the drivers. There are text files within the c drive and within a boot x drive there are a few folders; program files, sources, users, windows, setup. Not sure if there are drivers within one of these folders.

So i tried the next option which was Restore your computer using a system Image. This failed as there was no image found. Thus I cancelled and was brought to a list of recovery tools. The startup repair couldn't repair anything and upon restart nothing change. Also under View problem details it listed:

error signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385

error signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385

error signature 03: unknown

error signature 04: -1

error signature 05: external media

error signature 06: 1

error signature 07: no os installed

I then tried a windows memory diagnostic, but it failed and listed an error prevented it from happening. I found this link for perhaps a similar problem as I am experiencing as I believe the reason is similar, shut the laptop before it was fully shut down. Should I follow it, or any other suggestions?

#8 giraffasus

giraffasus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 03:09 AM

Just tried the first steps of the other tutorial. The c drive, when using the directory command in cmd didn't show what it should have to be the system drive, and the d drive failed to be recognized at all.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:12 AM

Have you opened the BIOS and checked to see if the hdd with Windows 7 installed is being seen in the Boot Order?  If you have not, please do so.

Remove all of your USB devices except for the mouse and keyboard.

Open the Command Prompt.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste bootrec /rebuildbcd in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

You will see the following.

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

This may take a while, please do not stop the scan.

If this was successful you will receive the following message.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

Edited by dc3, 15 September 2016 - 09:14 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 giraffasus

giraffasus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:33 AM

Okay. I will try this tomorrow. I'm home now. I am in Japan so I believe our time difference is around 8 hours or so.

If I remember correctly the hdd was listed within the bios. I'll double check tomorrow as well. Thanks for your help.

Edited by giraffasus, 15 September 2016 - 09:34 AM.

#11 giraffasus

giraffasus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:14 AM

Did so. It didn't take long at all. Almost instant. Also, whenever I am in command prompt the initial line always reads x:/sources> Of course the slash is a forward slash but I can't type that on this keyboard. I got the message that you listed, so now what.

Under the bios in the boot priority order I saw HDD-Toshiba MK3276GSX. I assume this is the hard drive of the computer.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:56 AM

When you ran the command did you receive the message stating that the operation completed successfully?

Open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the two commands below one at a time, press Enter after each.

path=%path%;C:

bootrec /fixboot C:

#13 giraffasus

giraffasus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:05 AM

Yes I got a message that read operation completed successfully. I will, again, have to do the commands tomorrow morning as I am home now.

Thank you for your patience in checking back as you have.

Edited by giraffasus, 16 September 2016 - 08:06 AM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:31 AM

I will look for a response tomorrow then. :thumbup2:

#15 giraffasus

giraffasus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:46 PM

Sorry for the delay. I was busier with work and life than usual, and thus had no time to login to type this.

I first typed in the  path=%path%;C: but there seemed to be no change. I assumed that the x:/sources would change to c: or something, but nothing. I went ahead and typed in bootrec /fixboot C: and instead of doing anything it gave me a list of possible commands under fix boot. If I left out C: then it would perform the command almost instantly and list a message explaining it was completed successfully. Though I was still under x:\sources>. 

So I typed c: x:\sources changed to c:\> I typed the same commands. Path command gave no visual indication of any change. the bootrec initially listed the same options until I got rid of the C: from the command, it took 2 seconds or so and I was given a completed successfully message.

I did a little research and then tried to figure out why. So i typed in diskpart, list disk, and saw that disk 0 was listed. the status was online, and the size was 298gb with no bytes free. Which was odd. I typed then listed the partitions. There were 3, labeled partition 1, 2, and 3. Under type they were all listed as primary. Partition 1 was only 100 mbs. I did list volume next and saw  volume 0-3. Volume 0 was the installation disc, and the other volumes correlated with the partitions. Volume 1 had ltr c, and format ntfs, size 100mb. Which is way too small. Then Volume 2 was ltr d, format RAW, size 199gb, volume 3 was ltr e, format RAW, size 99gb. All 1-3 were type partition, and status healthy. There was a repair command and another command, forget its wording, that I am unsure if they will do anything. Also, again I forget exactly how I got there, but I found that volume d and e are both inactive, while c is active. Should I make active d? Perhaps because it is RAW that is why D was an unrecognized format. Not sure.

I assume then something happened that erased the disk, or...? Not sure. Like I said, this initially happened after I used the computer for a very short time, like 10 minutes, and shut it off. I might have shut the computer before it completed its shutoff procedure, which I read has a possibility of affecting the disc. If so. is there any way to recover any of the information off the disc? Cheers.

Edited by giraffasus, 18 September 2016 - 10:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users