Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Entry level laptop for $180

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:34 PM

BestBuy currently has a Lenovo laptop for $180 with the following specs. Not a bad price for what it is.

15.6" display

Intel® Celeron® processor N3060

4GB system memory

500GB hard drive

Intel® HD Graphics 400

Bluetooth 4.0 interface

1 USB 3.0 port

1 USB 2.0 port

HDMI output Built-in media reader

Next-generation wireless connectivity  AC

Windows 10

Free Shipping

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 September 2016 - 09:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:33 PM

Notice one of the limitations is only two USB ports.  Currently, the sale price shown is $219.99.  The item is said to be "open box", which likely had some effect at the lowered price  (in this case, something less than $249.99).

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:30 AM

The one shown in the photo is not an open box. You can get it either new or open box.

Note that it does say OPEN BOX from $197.99 Open box means that the item had been previously purchased and returned. They want to get something for it so the price is discounted.

Best Buy has 2 levels of Open Box:
Open-Box Excellent - Certified
Product has passed the Geek Squad Certified process, has been professionally cleaned, looks brand new and includes original parts and accessories.

Open-Box Excellent
Product looks brand new and includes all original parts and accessories.

In the case of that system Open Box Excellent Certified is $204.99

Open Box Excellent is $197.99.

There is not much difference between either of those prices and the new unit sale price of $219.99. Why go open box when it only costs a bit more for a new one?

Eventually it should back up to $249.99

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:43 AM

Price went up from when I posted. It was new for $180 and at that price it was actually cheaper than the open box price.

https://www.fatwallet.com/deals/lenovo-15-6-laptop-w-celeron-n3060-4gb-ram-500gb-hdd-3135318

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 September 2016 - 09:46 AM.

#5 techguruswaraj

techguruswaraj

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:04 AM

You have set very low budget for the laptop. Well, there are many laptops available in this price range. Here is the HP Chromebook 11 G-4 Laptop.

HP Chromebook 11 G-4

• 11-Inch Display
  • Intel Celeron Processor
  • 2GB RAM and 16GB Flash Storage
  • 1 USB 3.0, 1 USB 2.0, 1 HDMI Port and 1 headphone Jack. 
  • Chrome OS. 

The Laptop is very good if you are not looking for the Windows laptops. This is the very basic entry-level laptop, specially suitable if you are a student. 

HP is one of the best Laptop brands manufacturing laptops with Low to high end configurations. There are many laptops from HP in the market, but you have to increase your budget to purchase the awesome laptop. Assuming that you are a Student with Fixed budget for the laptops, the HP 11 G-4 Laptop is great. 

You can check out the online used gadget marketplaces for Used Laptops, which may fit in your budget. 

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:23 AM

If you also will be using this laptop for schoolwork, consider adding a usb external cooling fan assembly [one giant fan or twin fans], such will keep the laptop cool enough for longer life.  And, for backup/restore routine, any available, affordable, trustworthy external media will work nicely with Macrium Reflect [or any similar free or pay-for program].  For example - I use two 1TB usb ext HDs for my computer.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:46 PM

Op... that one I looked at last december and this past April.... it was nice... but definitely (according to reviews) better to purchase new if you can. Of course, Lenovo has their good and bad models (based on user experience), but I suppose this one might be nice for regular internet users.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users