Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus X551MAV - Battery LED blinking between orange and green, indicator frozen.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ketsujo

Ketsujo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:38 PM

Hey everyone. I have an Asus X551MAV laptop (all the specs can be found here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-X551MAV-SX391B-Notebook-Review-Update.127921.0.html ) that I bought a couple years ago for college use. Everything's been working perfectly until this morning when I realized that the LED light for the battery is constantly blinking between orange and green.

Unplugging it doesn't change anything, the blinking LED will only turn off if the laptop is powered off and unplugged. If I plug it in while it's powered off, the blinking persists. While powered on, my charge indicator detects when the laptop is plugged in or unplugged, but continually displays 98% and "10 hr 00 min" left on the charge, regardless of whether it's plugged in or not. Since normally it would display about 3 and a half hours after having unplugged it from a full charge, the indicator is definitely frozen up. I've had it powered on unplugged for a long while now with no changes.

I also noticed that since this began the touch pad on the laptop is laggy, meaning that if I move the pointer around it'll frequently kind of slow down and then jump to the destination. I upgraded to Windows 10 last month as well but everything went fine with the transition and I haven't had any problems until now, probably worth mentioning though.

I almost always use the laptop while it's plugged in on AC power, only rarely will I use it on battery life because it usually stays in one spot on my desk. I'm thinking that this may have contributed to the problem...

Normally I would have power cycled the laptop to try and fix this, but my particular model has an internal battery and no reset pin of any sort on the bottom. I tried opening it up to take the battery out but I couldn't manage because of stripped screws/screwdrivers, and at this point I really don't think I can get it open without buying a screw extractor of some kind, which I'd rather avoid if possible.

I've been searching the net for the past few hours trying to find solutions and coming up blank. Really, the only thing I can think to do is to leave the laptop on until the battery drains entirely and then hold the power button down to try and cycle it with the battery still inserted, and then to recharge it from 0%. Is that as effective as removing the battery to power cycle?

If you guys have any idea on what I might do to fix this problem I'd appreciate it so much, I'm not in a good financial position right now so I gotta make this laptop last as long as I can, and I'm completely out of ideas. Thank you so much in advance.

Edited by Ketsujo, 01 September 2016 - 06:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:44 PM

1. probably is a problem with the battery, the battery starts to get old;
  2. that you do not use the battery in an attempt to prolong his life, it is not true;
  3. to get 0%, ie fully empty, not never possible and cannot help in any way if you have a Ni battery, but You have Ni-accu.
  4. If you have upgraded to Windows 10 by using the Windows Update system, you now need to do a clean installation;
  5. that the screen is numb, has no connection to the battery, but is related the fact that you have mismanaged Windows, which needs cleaning - needed for the clean install.

But before you start to do something else, try to work without a cable, ie using only battery power until the computer is switched off. Then connect the charger and wait for some time (5-10 minutes is enough) before turning it on again. If all is the former (of course, it takes a long time before the battery is full, usually about hour or two), then the problem is in the battery. When the battary orange-green light stops flashing, is needed to begin a mistake to look elsewhere.

ASUS X551M Laptop Battery Removal 

Edited by kaljukass, 01 September 2016 - 08:57 PM.

#3 Ketsujo

Ketsujo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:38 PM

I appreciate the info kaljukass, that was the video I watched earlier this afternoon when I tried taking it apart, very helpful stuff.

General update on the situation: I watched videos on the laptop while it was running on battery power until it turned off. Afterward I held the power button for a couple minutes or so in an attempt to power cycle it, just for good measure. Once I plugged it back in I'm getting a sold orange "charging" light like I was getting before I started having the issue, so it looks like letting the battery drain and re-calibrate may have solved the issue. I still haven't turned the laptop back on (I won't until the light goes green to indicate a full charge) so I'm not completely sure if I've managed to resolve the issue, but for now at least, the LED isn't blinking between colors anymore. I'll update the thread again later once it's charged to report whether or not the issue seems fixed or whether it persists.

Thanks again to all who have taken time to read this or help me out.

Edit: Powered it on after the charging indicator turned green and everything seems to be acting normal again, the battery light is a solid green, the indicator is moving and updating properly, and my touchpad, for whatever reason, is no longer lagging. Seems letting the battery drain and recharging from 0 was the solution.

Cheers, and thanks again.

Edited by Ketsujo, 01 September 2016 - 10:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users