Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally locked myself out of access to folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joltingjoe

joltingjoe

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:17 PM

I share a common work station with a coworker. We each log in with our own usernames. My user account has Admin privilege. In order to protect several spreadsheets with confidential data, I decided to limit his access by right clicking on the folder and going to Properties, then Security. Then I changed the permissions under his user account to not even allow him to read the folder or its contents. 

I doublechecked that under my user account I was permitted. But after I hit apply, I found that even I could not access the folder now. It seems the computer read his account and my account as being in the same group.

Does anyone have any solution how I could restore access?

(Yes I realized I really made a dumb mistake here.)

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:18 PM

See if a System Restore will revert it back to the condition prior to making the changes.  You will want a restore point dated prior to the change.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 joltingjoe

joltingjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:55 AM

Unfortunately I never set up system restore :(

Any other way?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 11:00 AM

Windows 8 / 8.1 automatically sets restore point after the following events.

Desktop app installation (provided the application utilizes an installer that is System Restore compliant). If the application install causes system problems, the user can restore the system to a state before the installation of the application.

System Restore creates a restore point before the installation of critical Windows updates begin.

Unless you have never had any important updates installed you should have restore points.  You don't need to "set up" System Restore.  Have you opened system restore to see if you have any restore points?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users